Home Technical Talk

Inverted Faces Trouble in 3Dsmax

RoxyPox
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
RoxyPox polycounter lvl 6
I am preparing a low poly object for a high poly normal map bake, and I am having issues with inverted faces while trying to unwrap. I know they need to be flipped in UVW editor window, but once I do, I can't figure out how to properly attach them back on to the rest of the uvs without messing everything up.
I attached a few examples of what I'm having trouble with.
inverted_faces_trouble2.jpg
inverted_faces_trouble1.jpg

Replies

• Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Sometimes I have a problem with faces reading as inverted if I have a quad with 3 verts lined up almost parallel, like you seem to have here in both of these instances. Try to make different sorts of cuts on your model so that you don't end up with shapes like these. This may or may not be your problem, but it's worth a shot :)

cmLqJ.jpg
  • RoxyPox
    Offline / Send Message
    RoxyPox polycounter lvl 6
    Sometimes I have a problem with faces reading as inverted if I have a quad with 3 verts lined up almost parallel, like you seem to have here in both of these instances. Try to make different sorts of cuts on your model so that you don't end up with shapes like these. This may or may not be your problem, but it's worth a shot :)

cmLqJ.jpg

That probably is the probable problem. XD I will try fixing those issues and let you know how it goes.