Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Realistic Character - Inspired by Uncharted 3

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
All in the title!
Its obviously a WIP, first full character I've decided to do. Working heavily on anatomy, and clothing/accessories.
More images to come soon.
character_01.jpg

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    are all the details of the clothing (belt and straps) sculpted as part of the same mesh as the shirt and pants? if thats how it is, id say remove that and make them separate objects. generally if its a separate object in real life, it should be in 3d too (for a high poly mesh at least), but for your character it looks as if the entire guy is made of 1 mesh.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nope, they are separate. it does look like they are one mesh though. Under the clothing I have his body, sculpted which I'll upload some pics tomorrow, gotta finish school today then I'll have some extra time.
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    You are going too early to the detailing stage. Come back and adjust the overall proportions. Try to do it firstly on the character and then you model the clothes over it as separated mesh as Oniram said
    A good tip is reduce the mesh subdivision, thus you won´t be able to work on details.
    Once this is a realistic characters he should respect realistic proportions. Some quick points I´ve noticed:
    -Small top of the head
    -large chin
    -large neck
    -small hands
    -short upperarm
    Hope that helps :)
  • Z3NZY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3NZY polycounter lvl 7
    I'd say the wrists and hands need working on. The shape needs to be established correctly more, especially the thumb since it's at an extremely odd angle with the rest of the hand.
    Feet as well.

But's a WIP so i'm sure you're already planning to do stuff about that :I
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks for the help. Going to fix the proportions here in the next few hours.
  • chakkrit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a good start. I'm glad they're separate subtools. The head is a little square, due to the jaw I think. Eyes are too high, nose and mouth are a little small. Try straightening the fingers and sculpting them then. Crease work is looking good on the trousers. Arms are a bit tubey. Try working some shape in to them.

Can we have a front and side view? Make sure you're working in the perspective view. This is just me now, but I think a tee shirt and jeans are a little plain? Maybe a belt pouch thing like Drake has in the games? Breaks up the form a little and makes the silhouette more interesting. You're doing the right thing by sculpting the body first, then fitting the clothes after because it makes them fit better. You wanna line your wrists up with the crotch too.

Really good start mate. Keep working on it and it'll look wicked. Oh and another note; if you wanna concentrate on anatomy, gather loads of reference. Scott Spencer has a cook for characters, check it out if you haven't it's my bible. Maybe grab some free reference from www.3d.sk

good luck!