Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Drew Dyksterhouse, 3D Artist

So I've updated my portfolio after a year of not touching it, Ive been working as a 3d generalist of sorts at a small company that makes kids games, feedback would be nice.

http://www.gamemodeler.com

Replies

• Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    I'm not a fan of Flash galleries, but that's just me. You could add your name and website address tastefully to the images so that recruiters who save off your images know where they came from.
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Nice! I like those low poly animals. You should go the html css route maybe with some lightbox but I wouldn't bother that much with lightbox. You can load all your images on the home page with thumbnails or without. You have really nice stuff but I think you need to do some triage in your portfolio... maybe those sketches... Keep at it!
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    drew, i just looked at your site and your portfolio i knew your name was familiar, we went to UAT together for a bit before i left, we worked at Fry's electronics together lol, i was an enviro artist on the zero barrier team, nice to see a familiar face/name there are like only 2 people that i knew from UAT that are actually doing what they went to school for
  • insaneklown89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh hey man, ya UAT doesn't seem to kick out to many artist that actually stick with it.

And thanks for the advice, I'll have to check out html, Ive never dealt with it before so itll take some research, and I'll add my contact info to the pics.
  • BluPanda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im a little curious why you have what I would consider one of your more impressive works hidden in the "about the artist" section as apose to the character section?

in addition.... remember iOS devices don't have flash...
  • insaneklown89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The huntress character is in the Character section too.
  • BluPanda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my b missed the lower sections of that page >_<
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Your art needs to load instantly, and your current flash site takes too long. I only had the patience to click on one image before I got bored and left. Sorry, but thats the way most people are going to view your work. You need to show all your best art as quick as you can.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    flash sites don't work

name, email and wrb address on every image
  • insaneklown89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm getting the vibe that flash is bad, but I'm using godaddys website tonight tool, and I have very, very little web experience. I looked at light box, but I'm not sure how to integrate it with the website tonight tool. I did try looking at my site on an itouch and it worked.

Anyway I realized I hadn't saved all my images for web so I went back and did that as well as adding my contact info to every image. So my file sizes are much smaller and hopefully that will help with the load time.

Also I added some more work.

www.gamemodeler.com
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mgoblue412 polycounter lvl 5
    It would be nice to see your name in the same location on all of the images. You usually want to put it in the lower right (as most of yours are) because that is where the tends to "leave" the image. Also when you have 2 images that are the same size your name and all that should not move, for instance you have that guy and female right next to each other and the images are the same size but all of your info is shifted to the right on the female. I also would like to see the background color be the same for all the images on the gray background. The head just after the female I was talking about has a darker background than the female and male characters before it.