Home General Discussion

Looking for a partner(s) for a new blog project

Hello, I'm Asher, and I wanted to reach out to see if anyone is interested in helping me with a new blog project of mine. so I'll just give a little summery about the project and you guys can give me feedback and tell me if you ar interested in being a partner for it.

What is it?
Basically it is a website (a blog of sorts) that will be a central place to find all the news on video games and movies and anything related, except for the developers. I imagine the sight being similar to Engaget in some ways. So there would be posts about game engine tech, movie magic, behind the scenes of other creators, etc. And I also would like the site to be a resource for people getting started in the industry (like myself), meaning there would be articles about getting started in 3D modeling for example. This is a pretty simple explanation for what it can be, but I want to start simple.

I really want to know what you guys think; would this be something you would check out if it had quality work put into it? is there anything that would make it better? are you interested in helping me? By the way, I don't know if I will go through with this if i can't get help, just because of time constraints, but this is the kind of place I've always wanted.

so that's basically my idea :\

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
  • AsherOS
    I've been to that site before, but it is more dense than what i want. My project would closer the simplicity of Engaget, as well as have a much more social community aspect to it. But I realize that Gamasutra is similar.

Though I would like to hear what would make this different from gamasutra instead of just posting a link
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Well, WHY do you want to do this blog?
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    AsherOS wrote: »
    I've been to that site before, but it is more dense than what i want. My project would closer the simplicity of Engaget, as well as have a much more social community aspect to it. But I realize that Gamasutra is similar.

Though I would like to hear what would make this different from gamasutra instead of just posting a link

Shouldn't you be telling us that?
  • AsherOS
    @adam
    I want to do this blog because I think it would be a good central place to check in and learn about the news in the media industry, find new stuff (projects of other creators, software, etc), and introduce more people to the industry.

@Skillmister
    I asked that because it's best to know what the people in the industry would think/want. Though I will write somethine about that when I have more time.

by the way, from the looks of it, you guys don't seem to interested, so you could just say that and why that is.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Asher: So far your idea for a site is done and successful.

So what is your site going to offer that people cannot get from Gamasutra. Tell me content, not look/design.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    I think we would be interested if you had a unique idea. Maybe you do, but you haven't elaborated upon it yet!
    Though I will write somethine about that when I have more time.

This also bothers me. I'm sure that creating and running a public forum is a huge undertaking and will require a lot of time, but you say you don't even have time to explain what you want? :/
  • uncle
    OP you have to realize that you need rather fresh idea to gather some eager henchmen. Just saiyan.
  • AsherOS
    @Jessica Dinh
    Haha! I was just checking Polycount among working, so I didn't have time to write a long post. I'll edit my first post this evening with a better description and maybe a website layout.

@uncle
    I wasn't expecting people to just hop aboard. This post is really just to get feedback, but I know that if I go forward with this I will need help.
  • uncle
    I get it. My experience in making blogs/webpages is next to none but I think any feedback I can give would be like something like this:

If you really think of commitment ask yourself a bucketful'o questions - How will this project be different/better from existing ones? Isn't the concept exploited to the maximum (sadly I believe so)? Do you have realistic chance to reach broader audience? I think it would be best to take those into account before starting this for good.

Of course you can make it for the sake of sheer fun and screw the rest. It's up to you. ;)
  • Cheathem
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I would kill for a blog which links back and updates whenever a new white paper is released/published from companies.

So whenever Naughty Dog or Valve releases some new info on how they did something, a handy blog which I can check up on if there is anything new would be just dandy as a hub.
  • AsherOS
    Ok, I'm writing up a design document to better express what my ideas are fro the project.

@uncle
    thanks. I will probably only do this if I can find a strong standing in the concept as.

@Cheathem
    Looks interesting, but that is more of consumer news rather than developer news except for that little random picture panel.

@Ace-Angel
    Thanks for the idea.

Just to clarify, one of the big goals for the project is to introduce new people into the developers world.

Thanks for the comments guys, I know I wasn't very clear before.
  • Fifa
    Offline / Send Message
    Fifa polycounter lvl 8
    here is a WIP site that sounds like what you're describing: http://clustr.com/
  • AsherOS
    Actually, that seems closest to what I was talking about. I'd like to see where they go with this when it's out of the WIP stages