Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Model

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
UltraLrod polycounter lvl 7
Okay guys need some major help here. I been modeling this character and the head been giving me trouble. I notice that topology here is all whacked up. It doesn't follow the facial structure of a human. Any tips on how i can fix this?

with edges
model001.png

without edges
model002.png

Replies

• GraphX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that this is an attempt to troll but I still answer - it is easier to start over again than to try to correct this topology.

I think that it is best to start with the eyes, then nose, lips and more.

Example topology (sorry for low resolution):

newhead2hp2.jpg
  • UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for making it sound like a troll question. The frustration from the topology made me nuts but took you advice and redid the head. Got to looking better then my previous one. Much appreciated GraphX.

Screenshot2011-12-12at25108PM.png
  • UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update from my model here. So figure I model him after Achilles we read him in my Western Lit class. Total poly limit of him is at 4554. Have not zbrush him yet.

I want to pose him, but I have been having trouble thinking of how people do it on here. How do everyone do it? Should I make a rig for him and then pose him or do I use another program to pose him?

Screenshot2011-12-19at14410PM.png
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    You're not ready to rig that yet. You clearly need to learn some art anatomy. The proportions are all wrong and it doesn't read as a natural human being. Go to your local library and check out some books on art anatomy. Also, you need reference. You need real examples of the human form to look at when you model this character. Your mental image of how a person looks is highly skewed and you'll need something real in front of you to fight those false images.

Also, practice drawing these forms over and over again until you can do it blind. You aren't ready to move to rigging until you master proportion.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Greevar is dead-on. At this point you need to focus more on form and topology before worrying about Zbrush and rigging. These pages on the polycount wiki need to be in your bookmarks:

http://wiki.polycount.com/BaseMesh?highlight=%28\bCategoryCharacterModeling\b%29
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryTopology?highlight=%28\bCategoryCharacterModeling\b%29
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I'd suggest finding some online tutorials to help you through the basics. It looks like you are very new to 3D art, or atleast character art. IMO the best thing you can do is start at the begining.

Start creating anatomicaly correct base models using online guides and learning anatomy. Once you practice this enough, things will come alot easier to you. Polycount wiki, CGSociety wiki, Digital Tutors, Creative Cow, etc... are good places to start. I would also highly reccomend a sculpting-3D-anatomy book to help you along the way.