Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Mobile UDK Scene - Cthulhu Harbour

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKXeiCHi7Go"]Hand Held Game Environment - YouTube[/ame]

A university module required a scene compiled of 15 assets, at under 50000 triangles in total, in the theme of "destroyer".

The video link above shows my work so far.

It ran at 30-40 fps on an iPhone device when the draw calls were at 150-200 and has since been optimized to run at 30-40 draw calls, with a max of 150. I imagine the iPhone testing tomorrow will show a much better frame rate due to the changes made.

I would like to improve the scene further, any feedback or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Tiraldric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking really great for handhold stuff! I'm not sure if your budget allows, but I found that the Squid/Kracken tentacles felt very bulky and rounded, and it looked like there may have been some texture stretching on that stone ramp near the end? (Don't have much time, or I'd watch it again).

Awesome atmosphere!
  • Prtofdacrowd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prtofdacrowd polycounter lvl 8
    Same as above^^ however I would say to fix the ocean as the main issue it could be tiled a little better, its very static and some vertex painting would not affect your limits, good luck!
  • Weazel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whilst writing some of the report for the module i found the modular use of assets within the scene has reached only 13, (max of 15) an alternate tentacle could be produced to give more variety to their shape and size, and the original could be fixed to appear less blocky.

As for the ocean shader, i had trouble collapsing the basic water shader from UDK into a mobile material, some tutorials must be out there for water materials in UDK and, if animated as well, would definitely improve the scene, thankyou both for the feedback.
  • Weazel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The following images show my use of modular environment design that was utilized to create the video submission seen above.

Wooden Set:
    The following assets were created from one high poly wooden beam projected onto a low poly mesh, and arranged into a modular set.

Highres_Screenshot_00017.jpg

These were all selected at the end of the work flow, combined to share the material and draw call in engine, and a light map was created to encompass all the wooden assets.

The same technique was used with the following stone set:

Highres_Screenshot_00016.jpg

This counted as 2 assets overall (out of 15 for the project)

Other assets include 3 parts for the modular creation of these buildings:

Highres_Screenshot_00014.jpg

One ship, which was then "destroyed" into several meshes:

Highres_Screenshot_00015.jpg

and the remaining selection of assets below that helped create the atmosphere of a "medieval harbour scene witnessing destruction"

Highres_Screenshot_00018.jpg

a problem was found with the udk mobile opacity layer, using a second texture as an opacity map has not flattened correctly, and works in the viewport, but not in the previewer, an alpha map works however and will be updated along with a new water material.

All critique welcome
  • ObbieSkinner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did You go to Humber?
  • Weazel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i attend staffs uni in the UK =]
    yourself
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    That's very cool, great use of modularity!

One advice I'd give is to paint some fake AO using vertex colors, this is a great and cheap way to add a little depth to your models. Check out the examples in this page, their model even look a bit like yours :P http://freesdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC3/Asset+Guidelines#AssetGuidelines-TexturingandUVWs

Another thing I'm missing is the use of trim textures. You should use them to break up the lines a bit, specially on the tower's roof. You could also try to break its silhouette a bit because right now it looks like just a primitive cone. Add some segments and make the silhouette a bit uneven, just like this:
    haapsalu_castle-tower.jpg

As for the rocks, you could improve them a lot by using a texture with large scale shapes instead of the small scale noise that you have now. That usually works much better for rocks.

You should also pay attention to consistency between your texture scales. I can see that you used the same stone wall texture everywhere, with different scales, and that looks very weird. Same with the roof on this asset > http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t105/rf_/Highres_Screenshot_00014.jpg each roof has a different texture scale.

Hope that helps and keep up the good work :)
  • Weazel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the great feedback, ill be editing this map at a later date as i have just finished the report for the project and am currently working on finishing others.

The module has given me a new found interest in modular design, especially after finding your theory behind its use in environments, and the zest corporation work.

When im done with other projects though ill be focusing on using the crits and advice to improve the scene, or begin another and use the things ive learnt whilst making this.

Thanks again Thiago.