Home General Discussion

Do you envision?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
When creating something new (Whether it be a concept sketch, a sculpt or whatever), do you VISUALISE what it is you are creating in your mind?

What I mean is, do you have a clear image inside your mind and do you work from that? Whether it changes as you work, is it a matter of transcribing your imagination to paper, or what?

Or do you simply wing it and keep references near by?

It's just that I am having a lot of trouble actually pulling off my ideas. I know what I want to draw. I know features of it, I just cant really put it on paper.

It'd be cool to hear some of your methods!

Replies

• Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I prefer the term "visualize". :p

But yeah, I find it helps to quiet my head for a second to think about what I'm trying to design, then get it down on paper as quickly as possible. Refinements can come later.

If nothing comes, then I'll just lay down a series of quick thumbnails and develop whichever looks the most interesting. Actually, get anything down on paper in loose form, and try to find shapes in the jumble.

You won't "see" anything unless you've fed the mind though, so I don't recommend pulling references only right when you're drawing. You kind of have to actively observe and take note of things all the time, and take in more than just art on Polycount or videogames.
  • Alismuffin
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Ah youre right! Visualise is the better word! I fixed my post ^^

Thanks for your reply btw! Very helpful and interesting c:

Im already thinking of everything around me in terms of concept art and am paying closer attention to observations so Im on the right track I hope!

Thanks again!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I have a hard time keeping the image in my mind long enough to put it on paper. I'll see really rough shapes or bloby forms - nothing defined. It usually dissolves from visual memory before I can get it down. It's why I don't usually design my own art pieces. If I have something tangible to work from in the form of a concept or something, I can build on that. But for a seed idea, I'm really no good.