Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stuff For Portfolio

Hey fellow Polycounter's I have been working diligently on my portfolio recently and want to show you what I will be doing as I complete each prop, asset, and scene.

Right now I am working on a fantasy chest made out of wood and bronze please tell me what you think :).

My high poly was made in Zbrush and everything else was done in 3dsmax

Highpoly
Clay.jpg
Low poly wires
Wire.jpg

Low poly with texture
render-2.jpg

Normal map
normals.jpg

Diffuse
CHest_DIFF.jpg

Replies

• Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    What does spec map look like? Wood is not really reading as spec with the color it's reflecting right now (i'm assuming it's a wooden chest?) and the metal could have a brighter spec imo. Insets not reading like insets right now, I would increase the AO strength in those areas or add some dirt or something to push it back from the rest of the chest. Also inner walls of the insets could be darker, that would help too. Overall, imo, you need to exaggerate the value range for this piece. Nice design though!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it would look better if your insets weren't so deep.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    The modeling looks nice but as Jessica said, the wood is not reading right. It blends with the gold making it all read as the same material.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    your highpoly has jagged edges.. a high poly isnt just for the small detailed parts, you should chamfer those corners to get them nice n round. then when you bake it, it will look less box-like and it will appear as if you have nice round edges. also rendering an AO map would help this piece. since the "wood" and "bronze" seem to flow edgelessly into each other.. if you dont do the normal map for it, at least do an AO so it can be seen that its not just a flat surface (which is funny that it looks that way, because it isnt actually flat)

EDIT: also it looks like most of your normal map (the zbrush details i guess) were made smaller and then scaled up. they're super blurry
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Edges are too harsh I'd say, needs more AO in the texture as well. To give that "depth" feel. The UV-layout looks weird as well with certain parts blurrier than others.