Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(WIP) Castle Door

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Jacky-Boy polycounter lvl 7
Heyyaawl, this is a castle door i've been working on this week to give my portfolio some much needed environment love. It's rendered in marmoset and has 2x 2048 maps on it. I'm gonna keep this project small but any tips or critique would be very very welcome. Also hello, I used to post on gameartisans a wee bit but i've finally decided to join you batty bois. :)

door4.jpg

door3m.jpg

door2n.jpg

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good start, but I think you could push it further.

You could add some more interest to the brick by chipping out some larger chunks and adding in a grout texture, and maybe some moss or dirt in between the bricks. Also, you don't really need to model in that chunk on the right side of the bricks, let the normal map and ao handle that. Right now it's just a waste of tris, and it will make it difficult to use as a modular piece. And should there be an actual door handle anywhere?

You can also cut down on map size. Two 2048 maps is way too much for something like this.
  • Jacky-Boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the reply man, yeah it definetly needs some more interest, i'll add some moss and lichen to the walls. It does need a door handle doesn't it :P this is what working in solitude does to you..
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    pretty much agree with vangorder. also, those hinges dont quite feel like metal. id up the spec on it perhaps?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I dig this! Would love to see a LOT more polygons used, almost to fault (for storytelling). The Xbox360 was launched six years ago, go nuts. The texture limitation doesn't exist. If it looks good, you're good. However, understanding of LOD and texture mipping should not be overlooked. Could also consider advanced shaders in current game engines (cryengine3, udk, unity) to setup detail mapping in coordination with low low rez textures. Gosh, so much to think about making games, just stick with blow your load and make it pretty.
  • salacious_Crumb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    salacious_Crumb polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great! I also think you could add a few things to add interest. You could add a burning torch to one wall, which would also change the lighting. I've been told before to think about where the walls meet the floor. You could add more dirt etc down there. You could add a floor and have the stone slabs more worn in the middle where people walked up to the door.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Totally double everything cholden says. You should go over the top with details on this.

Also a huge pet peeve of mine is lights that don't make sense. If you have that bright orange light on the left of the door add a torch or lantern. Otherwise remove it. It's hurting this piece having it in.
  • gateian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i'm liking this, but does feel too straight and like it was just made. How about getting some weathering and a sense of being old and rustic in there? Some dirt and maybe add a bit of a floor in front of the door. Here you could add some grass and mud, etc.

Good work though. With more work, this can look really nice.
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    The stone material is reading a bit like wood to my eyes. I think there's too much of a horizontal 'grain' thing going on in some of the smaller rectangular pieces.
  • Jacky-Boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks loads for all the feedback i'm slowly incorporating bits and bobs into the model.

I've added the torch to give it some nice lighting and a bit more interest, still need to add a lot of weathering, moss and probably gonna add some ground with broken tiles and grass.

I think i'm gonna probably keep the torch looking like its just smoldering. i.e no flames. What do you guys think about that, does it look cheap?

door5.jpg
  • ObbieSkinner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    light the torch!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Sweet, looks really nice. Kinda wish it was part of a set though. You're not using a tilable texture right? If not that's too bad it's really nice.