Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anna Williams - apparently

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
GoldBlackWolf polycounter lvl 12
Hello,

I thought I'd post up some work I have have been doing recently. It's based on the Brawl competition. I have taken the character Anna Williams from Tekken - I have aimed for a post apocalyptic look to her keeping the hair and the red dress as a factor in the design.

I'll try not to make this just a dump of images.

Early work:

concept:
AnnWilliams-Post-Apocolyptic-Breakdown.jpg

colours:
AnnWilliams-ColourChart.jpg

base mesh:
NEWBASEMESH.jpg

newer base mesh:
Lastbasemesh.jpg

(deciding I had made a bad face and that I lack the ability to create hair)

helmet:
Helmet.jpg

generic title here:
HighpolyOCCplan.jpg

To break up the pictures a little here, I'll point out that I am doing this at university. At this point I have been told to get rid of the helmet and do the hair - mainly because I can't avoid doing hair for ever.

UDK - low poly mesh, with normal map applied: -

front:
UDKcomparisonFront.jpg

Side:
UDKcomparisonSide.jpg

Back:
UDKcomparisonBack.jpg
Front in UDK:

Then (as a one of my dealines were approaching I sort of lost track of my plan and went a bit.... off with my textures)

Front:
Charactercompletefront.jpg

Side:
Charactercompleteside.jpg

Back:
Charactercompleteback.jpg

Prepare to be blown away :poly142::

Face:
CharactercompleteFacefront2.jpg

CharactercompleteFaceside.jpg

For a break down of all the components click here:
http://danielwebster3d.wordpress.com/what-im-working-on-at-the-moment/anna-williams-apparently-picture-dump-for-first-model/

Needless to say this was ... interesting.

Replies

• GoldBlackWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So in the past few weeks I have been working allot to greatly improve the model.

revised concept:
    Re-work.jpg

Changing the face:
    resculptface.gif

(it changes allot don't worry)

New version of Anna in Zbrush:

Front:
    Re-workedmodelpre-view_8.jpg

Side:
    Re-workedmodelpre-view_6.jpg

Back:
    Re-workedmodelpre-view_4.jpg

She Still needed work to the anatomy as it was a fair bit off.

After Working on this This is how she looked:
    ANNA_testrender.jpg

After that I set about texturing her: How ever when I cam to exporting my textures from Zbrush I found that the UVs had become corrupted somhow - very annoying.

colourerror.jpg

I ended up using UV master to unwrap the broken sub tools with a very quick unwrap (time is an issue for me). Problem solved I went on.

In max:
    mapsworking.jpg

Lowpoly-1.jpg

I found however that the texture was bit too messy so I tried to improve it again. Working in particular on the Skin texture. I am trying my hardest to improve my hand painted textures , so all of my work has been hand painted. I am quite pleased with the result I got on the skin.

Nose-1.jpg

Arm_new_texture.jpg

Chest_new_texture.jpg

Face_new_texture.jpg

The face is still an issue, the eyes are just too big so her features are a little off. Tough I don't have time to fix this now, nor increase the head size to match the body - though I would of if I had developed her better in the first place.

I Decimated the model and took it into 3ds max for a quick retop. The limitation of this model is too 12,000 triangles. I have managed to get he back down to 11,908 tris - which I just cant argue with :)

New_retop.jpg
  • GoldBlackWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick rig and test to see where she deforms poorly and where the weighting needs to be fixed:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh9YJcLfuco"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh9YJcLfuco[/ame]

A few fixes and then into UDK.
    Annapresentationtest.jpg

Annapresentationtest2.jpg

Annarendertest3.jpg

Annarendertest4.jpg

NB: The scene is made up using assets from UDK.

So that is where I am up to. Please feel free to comment, or give me any tips/ advice - they will be greatly appreciated. :)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I'd say try to finish this as soon as you can and try something new, go through what you've learned and try to apply it on the next project you're going to do. Always work from big to small, ie big details first , make sure the shape and the form is right. Before moving onto small detail so quickly. Good luck!
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why did you record your screen with a camera lol? :D
  • GoldBlackWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the advice - makes sense! Thankyou.