Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tiki Man

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
GoldBlackWolf polycounter lvl 12
Howdy, I just thought I'd share a project I am working on.

I have made Tiki Man with the aim of him being on handheld devices - so the triangle count is fairly low. I have a set target of 1,500 tris max.

The concept I am working from is a draw over of a mishmash of pictures.

Detail.jpg

colourtiki.jpg

I have tried to keep the geometry a simple as possible and to include deformation loops for animation. Working in max using my concept I managed to create him with 1,430 tris. I also added some hanging wraps from the wrists to add a little more to the silhouette.

Detailoverlay.jpg

In max I used the viewport canvas to paint on some guide lines for texturing later on. In UDK using the mobile previwer to test out the model and to see if the maps all work - which as you can see the specular is out of control. Though I intend to fix this by applying a plain normal map to the material, maybe a mask also just the rein it in a little further.

Wires
wires.jpg

mobile.jpg

Gave the Mesh a quick rig to pose it and I am rather happy with the deformation. His movement is limited a touch by the exaggerated features - though it does make him more quirky and interesting :)

Biped
Posedskel.jpg

3ds Max
Posedmax.jpg

UDK Mobile
PosedUDK.jpg

I am aiming to improve the texture a fair bit - get rid of the black lines, create some depth in the teeth for example, sort out the spec and have a presentation shot done for next week. Any tips for improving the texture would be appreciated - preferably a painterly texture approach.

ScreenShot00008.jpg