Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[MUTANT] MMA Fighter, Baddcog

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
Well, I found out about this a bit late but I'm jumping in. Thought about it for a few days and sketched some stuff up at work today but I still need to upload it.

I bit rough yet but working on the laptop is rough, I'll deal with clean up and more details over the weekend on the desktop.

He's gonna have some octopus/squid/jellyfish mutations.

So far it's all quads, going to try a bit of sculpting. I've messed with sculptris a little so we'll see.
-edit- where I'm going with the head
mutant0001.jpg
Mutant_baddcog.jpg

Replies

• Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update. I guess I didn't save after I had worked on the arms and legs.

Which is OK because I didn't like them and it was quick work anyway.

I'm at 2766 tris right now. At this point i don't think I'll sculpt anyway, so I can cut quite a few off of there not worring about quads.

I don't want too much deffinition in the arms legs, he's part jelly fish so I think I'll be using 3 bones per appendage to make him more rubbery.

No normal as his skin will be smooth/jelly like, deffinitely spec and I'll try an emissive tex instead of normal.

Jelly_Mutant.jpg

Still not too sure about his feet...
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol, well, I went to optimize some and realized that I had an extra clone of one half of him included in the tri count.

So delete that, add some details, 2376 tris...
    mutant03.jpg

Trying to bring a little more karate flavor, Maybe some hand wraps???

Any suggestions welcome.
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    looking much better. maybe you can add some more sides to each finger so they dont look so blocky
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I'll look into it, I still have about 150 to spare and some from the bottoms of feet, plus any optimizing I can do.

I'll have to look at some hand models, not really satisfied with mine, they are tough to do.

Was trying to stay away from just a fist too so he can karate chop or punch.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mutant_04.jpg

Still gotta do something with the fingers.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More work done

Mutant05.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Looks pretty cool so far! :). Did you have a concept in mind when you started modeling or does it just come to you? :P
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Japhir,

No particular ref, did a few little sketches at work (the one in first post was the only one I really used).. he was going to have a jelly fish head but transparency layers to make it look good would've eaten a lot of tris.
    I've been looking at pics of squids and octopus' and just kind of wingin' it.

Got him unwrapped and some base colors in.

Mutant_Color_01.jpg

I think I like the colors here generally, But the 'gills' aren't working for me. I'm thinking that might change to a beak, like a squid has.

I'm also going to get more indepth with the patterns, I just wanted a quick rough idea of colors.