Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hut Haven

Hi there. Hut Haven is a stylized prehistoric scene rendered in UDK where the inhabitants live in huts suspended over a tar pit. Let me know what you think.
huthaven.jpg

Replies

• mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 10
    Stylistically, it looks smashing! Really fun and really soft and fuzzy.

Design-wise, it looks like it could use some polish. For example, the transitions from plants to ground and mushrooms to trees and stuff like that could look a little better. Right now it looks "CG" first, stylized second, if that makes sense. Also, some of the lights are REALLY blown out and kind of add to that CG look in that there are hardly any shadows, which flattens the scene out a bit. Some well-designed lower-key areas would help bring contrast, as would controlling the light a bit more in order to produce pockets of warm and cool areas.

Also, that water or sludge or whatever seems like an afterthought. It could use a bit more love in the shader/texture area.

Other than that, it looks great!
  • Hexidine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks great, super fan of this kind of style and I agree with commebt above, also I don't like the planks/stairs on the trees.. they feel a bit wel.. just put on there because else it would look boring. some shadows would fix that I think, or a slight AO.

Still think it looks awesome, great work
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    I think this looks fun! Really sweet! The bones on the dock are cute lol ^_^ Love the moonlight. I agree an AO would be good for the steps and mushrooms on the trees.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    i opened this thread and inhaled a breathe a fresh air. great style!
  • FASTF00D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonderful colors!!!
  • Danglebob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    I like this a lot. but i agree with what was said, the lighting is kind of killing it. Everything seems to be washed in light, but no shadow despite it being night time.

Those huts and boat are amazing.