Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alice In Wonderland Styled Arcade Machine

hey guys, so i'm working on a Alice in Wonderland styled arcade machine, and i'm having trouble with some ideas. It's still work in progress, and only Diffuse and Normals have been applied so far. I'm having trouble at the moment thinking of ideas for the base, regarding to material, and ideas.
Any feedback will be appreciated greatly! =]

I'm thinking to add a lot of ware and tear to show taht the machine is really old, to give it the effect of a fantasy machine.

As for lighting later on, i'm going to try to give it the creepy feel with a dark moody feel.

hope to hear back from you guys :D

render_image_test_2.jpg

also, here is my diff layout for the arcade so far. I am still working on details.

arcade_Machine1_diff_demo.jpg

Replies

• Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Make a rabbit hole in the floor!
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I second the rabbit hole. =)

Have you considered illuminating the logo a little bit? It doesn't have to be as much as in the reference picture. But I think it would help to illuminate it some.

753729_f496.jpg

I would work on the lighting some more. E.g. You have a nice texture on the side of the machine, and yet it's in the shadow. It would help bring the focal point to the machine if the side of the machine received more light.
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    maybe put a cheshire cat on top staring down at the player
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I can't say too much regarding the modeling since it seems to be pretty well done. The texture and UV map however... Your texel ratio must be all over the board. The arcade stick looks huge compared to the siding of the box. I don't know that it would really need to be that large. The same goes for the lock box area. It's as wide as the front of the cabinet in UV space, but physically is only about half as wide on the model.

Also, I'm not entirely sure what the normal map is doing for you since most all your detailing and lighting effects seem to be drawn into the diffuse texture. I could see this being diffuse, spec, and maybe some glow or emission textures but the way you're texturing is not showing the normals off at all. While I'm on the diffuse, I know you stated it's an "Alice in Wonderland" machine but the fact that you slapped a piece of box art from "Alice: Madness Returns" on the side of it is a disservice to showing off your own texturing skills. Don't get me wrong, you chose a nice piece of art for the siding but unless I'm mistaken (which I very well could be on this) a large part of your texture map is not something you created.

I don't mean to knock you too hard on this since it's a good start but you need to fix some of these errors. I think you have the potential to take this pretty far, especially with some animated materials in UDK or something like that.
  • Dragan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo - thanks for the advice, I am planning on doing a glowmap for the front top, as well as the screen to demonstrate the effects of the machine being on.

Macattackk - I think that would be an awesome idea, if i wasn't on a deadline for this machine!

Praetus - honestly, I appreciate the honesty. I completely agree in terms of the picture on the side. I am planning to a lot more texture work on the machine to give it ware and tear, damage to the side pannel to show the underwork. I'm hoping that will demonstrate my texture skills. A lot of the normals where baked from a high poly as well. I'll post the wireframe, and high poly :).
    Thanks again for the honestly! :)
    I'll fix these errors and repost!
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    hey dude, ur model overall is fine. nothing 'amazing' but good :)
    unfortunly ur lighting in ur render is killing the overall scene ! put some lights in there other then white !
    read though this entire site, it;ll help. http://strobist.blogspot.com/
    Try to render this in udk or marmoset ! this renders in max dont help much, only if its a amazing looking clay render of your HP model :)
    also post ur spec map....
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Mistry10 wrote: »
    unfortunly ur lighting in ur render is killing the overall scene !

yes, this. I had forgot to mention this. I'm not sure what modeling program you're using but for game ready art I recommend showing it off through a game engine or viewer like Marmoset. Also, good luck with it!
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet! I would just work on the lighting, glow, spec, etc to bring it to life. Marmoset or real-time shader as well for better presentation. Frickin' cool though, and I love the game.
  • Dragan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry & preatus - thanks for the feedback, I haven't started lighting the scene yet, I'm still in the texturing phase. I see what you mean about rendering in marmoset. Im going to do that when the model is complete :). Thanks again for the feedback!

Rion411 - yeah, I plan on using glow maps when i get to finishing the textures :).
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Dragan, you should use marmoset as you texture. Trust me it really helps, then its not a guessing game in the end as to how it will look :)

Add to your textures-- update in marmo etc etc
  • Dragan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenStrasser - True, I just got marmo set so i'm goign to start tweaking things around in their. I'm just finishing couple more textures before I import it in. :)
  • Dragan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, so I just recently updated my scene alittle. I added glowmap to bring my machine to life, as well as added in some atmosphere lighting, and details within the texture. I'm still in the process of adding in more details, but here is what i have so far.
    Thanks again for all the advice! I really do appreciate it :)
    :D

render_image_test_diff2.jpg
  • Dragan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hiten - I haven't really gotten around to even doing a spec map yet, so right now it's just mainly diffuse and some normals. :)
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Man, your work is developing really well. I'd suggest you though to exagerate in glow and lights a bit more. I think your scene is a little dull and lifeless by now.

I did a quick paintover, with my suggestions. Basically, I think lights on logo letters and screen could be stronger to guide people to look there. And ambient light could be a bit stronger, to separate the arcade from background, and make your great work on side textures pop a bit more.

Paintover.gif
  • knak47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A lot of different approaches to ivy. Might I ask what your technique for creating yours was. it looks great, but is it cheap?
  • dragan01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, sorry I haven't posted something in awhile, but my account got a little screwed up. I thought I would update my piece. Let me know what you think!
    Thanks for all your help guys. You guys really helped make a difference :D

final_render.jpg
  • Perfect_Rolemodel
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    Very nice. but maybe to dark in some spots.
  • dragan01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bermac - Thanks! yeah, I have been getting a lot of feedback that it's been too dark, so I think i'm going to brighten up some of my rims.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    wish i saw this sooner, very nice piece
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Tobbo wrote: »
    I second the rabbit hole. =)

Have you considered illuminating the logo a little bit? It doesn't have to be as much as in the reference picture. But I think it would help to illuminate it some.

753729_f496.jpg

I would work on the lighting some more. E.g. You have a nice texture on the side of the machine, and yet it's in the shadow. It would help bring the focal point to the machine if the side of the machine received more light.

Woah....I used this EXACT picture years ago to do an arcade scene myself! Huge Flashback moment lol...

Your arcade machine looks better than my whole scene >D
  • Schrodinger's Backface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Schrodinger's Backface polycounter lvl 6
    I agree that it seems too dark at some points. It's looking pretty rad though. It was a cool piece on it's own, but it's crazy how much lighting can do for you.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    nice, did you do all the painting thats on the machine, like the characters and logos?
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    Overall you did a good job :)
    The textures on the most part are good
    > diffuse reads well, but the spec could use some fine tuning. mainly in the shader settings
    >great layout and story telling
    > its interesting, unique and cool to see this type of unique layout for an arcade machine.
    >very nice and simple colour schemes :) !

Some of the things that need improvement and are disappointing
    >the lighting so far is good, but not great. your setup seems simple...
    watch this video and apply this technique:
    http://www.swiss-miss.com/2012/01/lighting-techniques-for-video-interviews.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Swissmiss+%28swissmiss%29&utm_content=Google+Reader
    >> it really needs a rim light on the top of the arcade and a back light.
    >the tiles could have been modeled in and broken/shift around. right now its just a flat poly plane.
    >i really wished you made your own, Alice poster for the side of the arcade.
    it would have been super cool if you made your own unique design to show off, instead of using someones art work.

overall good work !
  • dragan01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus - I actually tried to make the light brighter on the logo, but unfortunately it really washed out the logo, and didn't really make the overall image more appealing. Great idea though! :)

Rhinokey- I didn't create the side painting itself, but I did create the logo with different imaging, and manual painting for the designs.

MIstry - Thanks for linking me that video. It really did help a lot, and i'm cuurrently adjusting my lighting. I'll be re posting soon.

Thanks for the feedback though :)
  • dragan01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just used the video tip from mistry10, and re adjusted my lighting in my scene slightly. Separated the model from the background more though.
    :D

final_render-1.jpg
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Using someone else's art in your texture is a no-no. If you can't paint to that level of detail then try going with a retro 80's design.

If this is just for learning and fun, then I guess it's fine. But if I came across this in your portfolio as an employer I would be put off.