Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK cimematic teaser trailer - Kids Eat Free

Hi all,

These are some recent shots of the teaser trailer I'm working on for a Crime/Suspense game. Some of my inspirations were outdoor, daytime horror films
such as The Hills Have Eyes and the camera work was inspired by the Fallout teaser trailers from Obsidian.

Everything in this trailer was done myself, including the modeling, texturing, lighting, world-building, post process effects, particles, camera work, and editing.

I'll post some pipeline screens in a bit.

I'd love any feedback. Thanks!!

Youtube link:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0vH4ZPkhzc"]Kids Eat Free 2011 Teaser Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

PBjoK.jpg
tGp8b.jpg
sPl6v.jpg
tuHC7.jpg

Replies

• BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    I like the camera work in this. The exterior environments could use a bit more polish, but good work overall. Great mood piece.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice work, horrifying subject matter. :) But cool...
  • aaronaton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronaton polycounter lvl 6
    Yeh im not a fan of this. Hope you're getting paid for it lol
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    aaronaton wrote: »
    Yeh im not a fan of this. Hope you're getting paid for it lol

Top notch well constructed feedback right here. What the hell?
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    Ya really inappropriate comment...

I really enjoyed this teaser I definitely felt like I was in this universe. The environment is unified and well made, I can't wait to see more. It reminds me a lot of the fallout trailers that bethesda has put out over the last couple years. Keep up the great work!
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    I think the trailer borrowed a little too heavily from the Fallout 3 opening cinematic. It is nice to have influences in your own work but I think a little more originality could have been nice.

It is impressive that you did all this work yourself but the environments could certainly use more polish. The lighting is also in need of a lot of work - try to use it to really push the horror mood you are going for.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks well done in presentation.

My ONLY crit is that the textures look too over sharpened and low-res in contrast to how well the baking of the lighting and shadow resolutions are at. In particular.. The light as seen is very bright and desert like, while that being what it is..
    Takes easy notice of the textures and colors the environment has for itself in decoration.

Overall very "hills have eyes" sorta feel going here and I dig it. If any chance upping the texture resolution on the window decals, the wood, ect. I think it will seem consistent and very solid in the visual presentation of the overall picture! :)
  • aaronaton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i find the scene disturbing, i find the camera set up with the toy room and the title 'kids eat free' kinda paedophilic. Im not being personal with the creator either. Seriously thou people talking about texture res and quality?

I might be going soft i don't know.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    well i find the scene disturbing, i find the camera set up with the toy room and the title 'kids eat free' kinda paedophilic. Im not being personal with the creator either. Seriously thou people talking about texture res and quality?

It is perfectly fine not to like something, but you NEED to explain WHY you do not like something. That is the whole point of critique. That is how people learn and grow.
  • Delko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15

I think "pedophilic" is exactly what he was going for, and it comes off VERY disturbing, more so then the typical bloody room with rusty blades everywhere.
  • mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mkandersson polycounter lvl 7
    Cool looking teaser. It Dragged me in and now I want to know more.
    Only critiques I have is that the back of the diner felt more detailed and polished then the rest and the exterior could use a bit more work on the textures and overall detail. Also the name tags and kids drawings look like they are hovering/detached from the wall. I guess you used a plane for those so maybe push it in closer to the wall.

Looking forward to see more on this project. Keep going!
  • aaronaton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok fair one.
    i think the room could do with some form of skirting to separate the floor space with the walls. Also i think you need a window frame, atm its just intersecting the concrete.
  • chrisavigni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
    To be honest, I liked a lot. Nice camera and mood, but I agree with BlvdNights, the exterior needs more work.