Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M82a1 Sniper rifle

Dismembered
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
I decided to model another weapon, on the opposite end of the spectrum then my last weapon. Here is my main reference, I have many others.

Things I still need to add:

-A scope: I plan to use this one.
-The bipod
-The pins on the gun
-The carrying handle
-And the latches used if you had a strap to carry it

Two questions:

The detail on the side of the grip, I assume the best/easiest way to do that would be photoshop?

And welds, I would like to put some weld seams on the gun. Anyone know of a way (preferably in max) to do it?

And as always, I am open to any C&C you might have :)

HP_01.jpg

Replies

• jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    The gun is looking pretty awesome so far, I look forward to seeing it done! This isn't in max, but I really like this way for welding.
    http://www.ryankingslien.com/?p=206
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the links! I would have gotten back sooner but I guess it was my turn to get sick. I finished everything except for the scope, and I won't be able to start on that till about Monday.

But let me know what you think, C&C always welcome.

HP_02.jpg
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished, aside from trying to put some welds on there.

Let me know what you think!

HP_03.jpg
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I am working on the LP, and I ran into something I am not sure about. The holes in the front of the gun, where the barrel goes it, cause my LP tri count to go pretty high. I have tried to find good examples of what others do with little success. Most examples I find have detail right on the other side of the hole so they can get away with basically a flat plane with a little bevel. In my case there is a lot of space on the inside.

So I have come up with a few different ideas:

- Model them and deal with the high tri count (I would rather not have a high tri count, but this option will probably look the best)

- Model it flat and bake a bevel into it and black it out (Would prob look ok from FP, but not so much anywhere else)

- Model it flat and alpha map the holes (I am not to sure how good this will look)

How would you do it?
  • RobertHammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobertHammer polycounter lvl 10
    Model those holes and if the low poly weapon will be have like 10k+ poly it is ok

it will look way better this way than other ways
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I finally got off my lazy butt and "finished" off the LP. I feel like the LP could be better optimized as it is just over 12k tris when stuff is mirrored. After looking at it for a while I am having a difficult time finding where I can cut out some more tris.

So I am looking for some pointers to where you all think I can cut some out. Thank you for taking a look.

M82a1_Wires.jpg
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    A few things you could do to lower the poly count:

1)Cap off your cylinders...anywhere you have a vert in the center of a circular shape, delete it then split the face accordingly

2)The base of the bipod doesn't have to be connected with geometry.

3) The glass part of the scope...the subtle outward curve is nice, but I think it would be fine to let the normal map take care of that.

4) In the last image, the cylinder going down the left side seems to have an extra edge loop in it.

5) The ring connector piece towards the front seems to have extra geo in there, where it looks like a spider web. You might be able to cut some of that out.

Overall, this is looking pretty nice man. Push the optimization a bit more and keep at it!
  • tesher07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a question. What is the best way to go about the caps of cylinders? On the scope you go with quads but on the cover you make triangles.
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darbeenbo - Thanks, I went back and adjusted the areas that you mentioned. It lowered the polycount a bit, so now I am sitting just below 12k.

tesher07 - The reason I did the scope like that was to add a subtle curve to it, but darbeeno is right. I should have just (which I did) capped the ends and quad it up. So I went back and did that to all my cylinder ends. In my ignorance I didn't realize that doing it that way actually lowered the polycount slightly.

So I now I have %75 of the unwrap done, optimizing more as I go. If anyone sees anything else that I can improve just let me know.
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I now have the unwrap all done and I have started packing the UVs, and I have a question. Everyone always says you want to have as few shells as possible when it comes to your UVs, which I agree with. My question is how do you manage that when you have a model filled with 90 degree corners where you have to split the UVs because putting them on the same smoothing group which will cause it to shade badly?

So essentially I have a bunch (at least a lot more then I feel I should have) UV islands which is going to make edge wear very difficult to simulate. Any help would be great thanks :) If I need to I can post up my UVs shortly, after I finish getting them packed.
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the UVs, I feel that the unwrap has to many UV islands, does it?

I tried using symmetry as much as possible and stacking UVs where I could. (although my tests didn't come out well doing this)

Thank you for looking.

UVs.jpg
  • The Lone Penguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Lone Penguin polycounter lvl 9
    There's certain times when overlapping works, sometimes it doesn't. There are definitely things in there that look like they can be overlapped but it's hard to tell given I don't really know exactly what all those little pieces are or what they go to. More importantly though, you have WAYYY to much wasted UV space. Really pack those suckers in there and maximize your space to work with as much as you can. Keep just enough space for some edge padding
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    It looks like you're stacking your UVs in the 0,1 area - this can cause baking errors. It's better to put all of the duplicates outside of the 0,1 area. In 3ds Max you can select the shell, hit the 'absolute transform' button in the bottom left of the unwrap (looks kind of like [+] ) and then type "1" into the U or V text box. If you don't have absolute transforms turned on you'll crush all the verts selected to 1.

You've got a lot of odd, thin strips and a bunch of little identical looking bits - particularly those little 3-quad bits in the middle. They look superficially different - could you combine them anyways?

you might have too much padding between each UV island too - that seems a tad generous and inconsistent.

You can use the auto-pack with a the desired padding amount and see if that gets you a better or worse pack than this - on average with a model like this I can get about 60-80% of the automatic pack, while maintaining a logical layout (ie related parts next to each other, etc) which results in a lot higher texel density.
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PenGuin1362 - Yeah I haven't figured out how to tell how much padding I need until I start baking, unfortunately. So I have had to resort to trial and error to get it right :/

Ghostscape - Yeah I have them stacked right now and I was planning to offset them once I started baking. The rather long strips are on the main body of the gun, the under side of the lip. If I attach them to the body of the gun don't I have to have them on the same smoothing group? Then that would cause shading errors? (Smoothing over a 90 degree) The three quads you are refering to are part of the sight rail, and I was hesitant about stacking them because on the test I did with stacking like that I had horrible seams, along with the normal map showing up funny. How do you get max to keep logical parts next to each other when auto packing them? Every time I use auto pack it orders them according to UV island size.

Thanks for the responses! They really help :)
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I went back and redid the pack. I think this turned out better but I am sure there is room for improvement? Is this still to much space for padding? I did a test bake and it seem to come out right, as long as I am not putting to much padding. I think I remember reading somewhere it 16 px padding for 2k maps 32px for 4k etc..., is that right?

Thank you for taking a look.

UVs2.jpg
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Is there a reason everything is on a 90 degree angle or straight? The beauty of a UV map is you can rotate your islands by any degree, which allows you to fit a lot in. Don't use max's auto padding feature, just go by hand. For example, theres so many tiny pieces there, which begs the question why, when I would keep it in as few parts as possible as long as it didn't mess up smoothing, but those small pieces can easily slot into, well, other parts. All those hoops with wasted UV space in the middle. Use them, for example.

Its really hard to tell where the UV island splits are, but looking at that, I would say... Everywhere. Also, I may be wrong on this I really can't tell, but that doesn't look like every surface is 1:1 pixel density in relation to each other.
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium - Thank you for the reply!

The reason I put everything on a straight angle is because it is easier for me to paint in details on a straight line as apposed to an angled one. I tried to keep it in as few parts as possible but the smoothing messed up, mainly around the 90 degree angles which caused smoothing errors.

I will go back and try to pack some of the smaller details inside the hoops.

For the most part everything is 1:1, I used textools normalize function. The only thing that isn't is the inside of the gun, where the bolt is,(which I scaled down because it won't be seen much, if at all) and the parts that are right in front of the player camera (I scaled up a bit well because they are right in front of the camera) is it wrong to do this?
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    1:1 isn't always the most important factor in UV unwraps. If this is intended for 1st person view, giving more uv space to stuff that faces the camera, like the back of the gun and the scope might be a good idea. Keeping things straight like your doing is not a bad idea either, painting in details like you said would be easier. As other people have said you might want to look to see if stuff can be mirrored/overlapped.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    None rotated islands do present the best visual pixel clarity, thats true. But the main issue here is that when you align everything by UV island, it isn't quite as smart as you think (or would hope). Instead, it make a basic rectangular hull around the outermost verts of the surface. This means that a triangle shape island will have a rectangular hull for use with the built in "padding". Thats why for example, in some areas where circles are, you get massive wastes of space.

Now I would honestly go back in and do this by hand once you are happy with the uv splits, but an important thing to mention is that... This is a first person weapon, right? If thats the case, you simply don't need anywhere near as much padding around islands. Mipping still happens with first person weapons, but as the object is so large on the screen you can get away with a LOT more, with closer islands. Might be best testing with a few islands what exactly is the best result that works with your target texture map resolution.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Some time ago i modeled this same sniper rifle :)
    I have to say that your model is very nice, clean and very accurate in the details, but your UV have problems...First of all there is too much not used space, due probably to the auto-pack function of 3dsmax.
    Plus as i read, i agree with the importance of 1:1 scale...in a FPS weapon it's good to give more texture density to parts that will be directly in front of the player.
    I post here the UV i made for my Barrett m82, just to show the use of space i've done.
    It's not immediately easy to recognize the parts, but u can compare the space assigned to the major pieces. For example on the top left of my texture there is the main body, which i decided to break into 2 uv pieces (immediately under there is the second piece, middle-left) to maximize the texture resolution of it).
    I hope it can be useful ;)

uv_m82.jpg
  • AdanR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdanR polycounter lvl 10
    nice looking! model, great surfaces
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium - I see what you are getting at about rotating the shells when I go back again to repack this I will keep that in mind, I plan on doing a quick test bake tom to see how everything is working then I will repack and try to get this right.

motenai - That is a much better unwrap then what I currently have. I actually didn't use the autopack feature to pack my UVs, I did them by hand. My inexperience is making them turn out not so great. How much padding did you bake in?

Ok so I guess my question now is how do you tell how much space to put between your islands for padding when packing the UVs, and how did motenai get it so uniform? Is that something you get from experience, or is there a function I am missing?

I really appreciate all the responses I am getting! UVs and texturing, in my opinion, are my weakest links so I really want to get this right.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mmm i don't remember very well, i think something around 4 pixels padding, but maybe something more like 6 or 8...consider that my final texture was a 2048.
    For the space to leave in between the UV isles, i think it's more a question of experience, but u can do some tests by doing a render to texture at the desired final resolution and see in photoshop how many pixels u have between the isles, then adjust them...there isn't any automated way that i know to do it.
    I think that a good UV tecnique would be to map different section of the rifle separately... i usually keep all the main elements detached (barrel, main body, scope, handle, and so on...) and i uvmap them as single objects, trying to give to all the chunks a decent final volume, easy to pack together with all the others...
    By doing this usually i obtain more or less square or rectangle groups of uv chunks, that after are easier to fit together... this is especially useful with hard surface models. In the end when i compose my final UV with all the elements of the rifle attached in one object, i try to keep the square ratio as much as possible (without caring of the texture borders) and then i rescale (up or down) then whole thing to make it fit inside the borders...i hope these info are useful, good luck ;)
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    I'm going to throw this in because I'm seeing a lot in these gun threads.

Ask your self. What is this low poly for? In-view, World, or 'I don't care, I just wanted a low poly you would never use in a game'?

The low poly you have right now is not optimized for in-view or world. I'm just asking so I could better understand the low.
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax - I was aiming for First-person low (ie Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, etc). As I was unwrapping this I did more optimization and the changes that I noted earlier, is there somewhere specific that you see that could use improvement?

motenai - Yes it was very useful, knowing others workflow is very beneficial to me.

A few crashes and corrupt saves later I am back. I went back and repacked everything trying to take in account everyone's helpful comments. Is this any better?

As much as I have looked through the wiki here I always seem to find something new, so I feel I should point this out to others that might have the same problem I am having with UVs WIKI. tl;dr the wiki shows a way to visually represent padding while packing the UVs.

UV3.jpg
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    MUCH better UV packing, however I can still see quite a few polies that could be cut? for example, take another look at the holes on the side of the main gun body, theres some splits there that are a bit wasted.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Liking that Barret Bohrs, can we get a better look at that?
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium - I went back and cut a few more polys, but if I cut any in that area that you are referring it makes the profile of those holes look terrible.

Andreas - Glad you like it, I can render some shots of it a bit later, after I get my bake straightened out. :)

Well max doesn't like me, kept crashing on me/resetting my mat IDs so this took me longer then I would have liked. But I finally got the bake straightened out. There are a few areas that I plan to go back and rebake to get them nice and smooth but this is basically the final result. The lighting set up isn't final, that is just default lighting atm. (Using XoliulShader 2, although I have been having serious issues with it so I might be swtiching :( )

What do you think?
    - Forgive the crappy cropping I was in a hurry ;/

LowComp.jpg
  • RobertHammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great imho - can you show normal map texture?
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got the bake straightened out, and here are the revised wires as well. Also I noticed at some point part of my HP got deleted so I had to import it and add it to my low. All-in-all I think the bake turned out rather well.

Next up texturing.

M82Bake_Wires.jpg

Normals.jpg
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I have an update, although there isn't much to crit at this time seeing as the majority of this is just the color block out. I have done some work to the ammo box and the bipod, everything else is just a flat color and flat spec. The color of the lens for the scope isn't final I just threw something in temp to differentiate it from the scope.

Color.jpg
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is some texture update. I have gone over everything except the scope, that is the next and last thing I have. Afterwords I plan to go over it to do some highlights/painted grunge.

Crits and thoughts welcome :)

Tex_Progress.jpg
  • RobertHammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice dirty look ,but only thing i wondering - why you have that green tone of colour used on the gun? or it is a tan camo? they are mostly Grayish not greenish :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/US_M82A1_Barrett.JPG
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobertHammer - I was using http://www.pixagogo.com/1706244501 for my references and it seems about 50/50 there. And my reasoning for going with the green is because I thought it would be more interesting to look at then an all black gun.
  • n88tr
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n88tr - Yeah that has just started happening recently, it just happens in certain angles in the Max veiwport. I get all sorts of strange viewport errors with Max 2012. I have no idea what is causing it.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    yer i get some crazy errors like that in max 2011 sometimes.. usually disappears after restart
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another texture update. I have almost everything done and I would like some input before I start to finish this up. I haven't really touched the scope glass.

Thanks for taking a look.

Color2.jpg
  • Beanwright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, looking good. The obvious crits have already been mentioned. Good stuff.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did you really need all those uv pieces just for the low?
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n88tr - With my current working knowledge I did. It is my understanding that you are supposed to split your UVs when you have a smoothing group spilt. And you have different smoothing groups where you need them(so you don't have smoothing errors across your model). I tried mirroring/overlapping as much as I could. Is there a better way that I could go about making my LP/Unwrapping that would result in fewer islands?

Well, I am calling this my final. I appreciate all the help I got along the way with my UVs, I can only get better from here right? Any last C&C would be great to take on to my next project. Thanks again.

M82_Final.jpg
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    that uv is crazy.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Things i see wrong:
    -mirrored texture on the ammo magazine, not good for a first person shooter (well actually not good for any kind of game)
    -some areas are too low poly, like the handle section or the spring behind the side slider...if this weapon is for first person view, you have to make sure to not have visible edges... in comparison the circular sections of the scope are extremely dense of poligons (from the wireframe they look to be 48 or 64 sections)...try to balance these things.
    -The textures are too fake right now...it looks like u used flat colors with a generic overlay to give general details, plus some random dirt here and there... try to characterize different parts of the rifle in a realistic way, imagining how they would get consumed, discolored, damaged, and so on...imagine how this rifle would become dirt...things like these
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz - Yeah x.x, I haven't quite figure out how to simplify my UVs yet.

motenai - Yeah this is the first time I heavily experimented with mirroring. I definitely learned a lot from this project. About the low poly areas that you are referring to, aren't these areas that will be seen little (if at all)? So would it still matter as much? Yes, textures are definitely not my strongest point. I think a lot of it may have to do with my spec map and getting my materials to read better. I tried mimicking the damage that was on the guns I was looking at,(ref link posted above) what part of the wear doesn't look right to you? Perhaps the grunge I have on there isn't strong enough to pick up in certain areas.
  • DirkJan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DirkJan polycounter lvl 4
    I agree with Motenai, also whats really bothering me is the upper screw in the stock of the gun, (The back). It looks like it is baked wrong. I like the bottom one better! Overal nice gun! You nailed the high poly pretty much! Goodluck