Home Digital Sketchbooks

The Phantom's Crash

Hello Everyone, I have been meaning to make a personal thread on here for eons, but I guess the wait is over! Please feel free to comment and critique any work that I put up here, I will do my best to try and include specific areas of feedback that I would like to receive for for each piece. Anyway, happy arting everyone!

Replies

• PhantomCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so here is a render of a cargo train that I built for a friend's VFX project.

cargotrain01.png

Here is the Wireframe.

cargotrain01wires.png

If you would like you can view the HD render by clicking on the link below:

TRAIN CARGO HD

So I would like to take this model and down rez it to game industry standards and then do some renders out of the Unreal Engine. Any feedback that you can give me would be appreciated.

Here are some additional renders with more info:

cargotrain02.png
    cargotrain02wires.png
    cargotrain03.png
    cargotrain03wires.png
    cargotrain04.png
    cargotrain04wires.png
  • Mimic Kairatta
    My first recommendation is removing any lines that loop around and doesn't contribute to any of the box's shape. I see about three loops you can delete right away.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    The lighting you've got going on is pretty cool and the overall scene looks nice. For your portfolio I would add some sort of man made light source coming from the right at an angle so you could get some spec hits off of the detail on the side. Most of your detail facing the camera is in shadow which works for the vfx shot, but hides all that detail you have.

I don't have an exact polycount for you, but it would likely be around a few thousand tris. You can probably get away with baking the vertical slats and ridges to a normal map so you don't have to do them with geo. In general, try to remove any edge loops that don't contribute to the silhouette and aren't necessary for uving. In this case though, you'd want to have divisions so you can repeat chunks of the slats, and then apply the graffiti as a stencil/alpha.

How you use the textures is important too, so make sure to post your texture flats. To give you a guideline, while many game textures are created and displayed in portfolios at 2k, it is extremely rare for the final game res texture to be any larger than 1024 if you're making a game for the 360 or PS3, and most game development is geared towards those specs.