Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ancient Cave

This is for a class project. Not quite finished, still need to do some tweaking, so critiques are welcome!

shot1.jpg

Replies

• ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    The ship blends in with the rocks, making it hard to make out what it is. Your rocks are also flat and blobby.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Things are getting lost with each other, most notable the boat. This looks like it'd be a damp or humid area, there doesn't seem to be any specularity. I couldn't even tell there was a statue on the right. You're current lighting approach is working against you.

Missing atmospheric effects: fog/mist, dust particles, etc. The lights bouncing off the rocks next to the boat look off, meanwhile the lights on the actual boat aren't affecting much.
  • moondog760
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right, my lighting is kind of off. I will move the point lights on the upper rocks down lower so they look more like they are coming from the lanterns. There is fog in the scene, but it isn't very thick. I didn't want to drown the scene in fog, but I will play with the fog strength a bit. A mist and/or dust particle effect sounds good, i'll make one the next time I work on it.

Also you are right about the specularity, I never thought about the dampness of the area. I'll tweak my spec maps a bit as well. As for the statues, I didn't want them to stand out too much, but I will play with the lighting a bit to make them more apparent. I'll post some updated shots soon
  • moondog760
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also the rocks could do with some z-brush sculpting. They have a tile-able texture, and I've never done a tilable rock sculpt in Z-brush before. I'll certainly give it a try though.

The ship is blending in with the rocks and getting lost. Maybe I should change the color of the rocks?
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    I'd go for gold and black for the lighting, considering the scene. Which would necessitate a change in the color of the rocks to something not orange. Either way you never want a major feature to be the same color as your lighting.
  • moondog760
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'm definitely gonna have to rethink my color scheme. I'd appreciate it if someone with more experience would help me out with a paint over for this one. in the mean time I will work on this when I can.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    locater16 wrote: »
    I'd go for gold and black for the lighting,

lol @ black for lighting