Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pair of Hand-painted Weapons

Hi Guys. First post on polycount. Just wanted to get some feedback on some props
I just finished. I followed 3dmotive's tutorial on hand-painting and wanted to create somethings based what I learned. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

AxeKnife_Color.jpgAxeKnife_wire.jpgKnife_DiffuseMap.jpgAxe_DiffuseMap.jpg

Based on concepts below (not by me):

Axe_Concept.jpgKnifeConcept.jpg
AxeKnifeColor.jpg

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    hey there, lookin pretty good, the best thing i could suggest is to work on bringing out some detail on the wraps, rite now they look very flat, and the highlights on the blue one really dont seem to help. Get some subtle wrinkles and wear in there.

Also, the copper metal isnt really reading well, it looks a little too noisy, i'd work some more greens in there aswell
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Pretty nice. The materials are handled well, but i can't get a grip on the shape or orientation of some of the forms. The axe blade especially stands out as pretty visually confusing -- the painting makes it look warped in the light.
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Hey, looking good. I would suggest defining a consistent light source. The sword looks mostly top-lit but the axe doesn't seem to have one. I think it might also be beneficial to push the contrast on the shading, to help the textures not look as flat.

I would also add more shades of color, like maybe adding some cool colors like blue/purple in the shadows and warm colors like yellow/orange in the highlights for some poppin' color variation on your hand painted textures. It looks like you did a little of that on your wood judging from the flats. Push it more! :)
  • CCantu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critiques! I will be implementing all those suggestions soon and hopefully I can get these models looking better.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The axe blade is looking a bit flimsy. I dare say that point at the bottom of the blade would bend or snap off if it connected with anything solid. If you pulled out the vertex creating that corner on the blade at the where the lowest notch is and then shortened the point somewhat it'd help make it feel a little more solid