Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First go at a complete character!

So here's my progress so far, thought i'd see what Polycount thought of it :)

advancedmodelling1.jpg

advancedmodelling2.jpg

advancedmodelling3.jpg

screenshot9.jpg

screenshot10.jpg

screenshot11.jpg

screenshot8.jpg

screenshot6.jpg

Since that sculpt the Jetpack has changed slightly, there is now A handle which attaches to the jets in a way that they can be controlled, the jets have also changed. I'll post these changes soon

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    You should slow down before you go further, you still have major issues with the anatomy of your character. Look at the shoulders, and the area around the armpits. The hands, the hand wrists, the neck. All these areas need another look, in the end you'll be happy you did it :)
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    I would second what chris says. I would maybe take another look at the thighs as well, maybe it's just me but the look far too thin and far apart.

It's a nice idea though, the pieces you have worked on for the clothing/equipment are nice.
  • laim1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice in terms of anatomy, I see what you're both saying and It's something I will look into. Sadly I can't address those problems just yet as this is for a university project due in 16 days and I've already 'signed off' the sculpting stage. I can have a look at the neck as I have yet to retop her head and neck but the rest will have to wait I'm afraid.

I guess I should have mentioned this in the first post but could I get some crits on the two pieces I have textured?
  • cdevens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdevens polycounter lvl 7
    Good start on the texture. It looks like the base piece of leather for the arm is much lower rez than the straps, you may want to adjust the UVs for that. Also, the seams for the bottles on that piece are showing, you should hide them on the side that face down toward the arm.
  • laim1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    screenshot0.jpg
    screenshot1.jpg
    screenshot2.jpg
    screenshot3.jpg

Got a bit more done tonight. Thanks cdevens, now you mention it I see what you mean. I'll fix that next :)
  • laim1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modelled an american football helmet for her to wear, I'm beginning to push my tri limit however (13,000) and I was wondering if anyone had any tips to lower the tri count cage tubes?

VWbzm.jpg
    JdD9X.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The arms are sticking out rather spaghetti-like. Where are the latissimus dorsii? The shoulder could also do with a bit more defined shape. Be it a sharp ride because of the stitching (see image) or more defined muscle (especially bringing in the shoulder and adding a dimple above the triceps) - it needs some slight vertex tweaking. You should be able to get away with just moving them and keeping the current textures.

cropped-leather-moto-jacket.jpg

edit: for the helmet, drop the 7 sided tubes. 4 might be enough, 5 should be plenty. I'd also have a look at different types of spheres to cut a few polies off the helmet:
    spheres_and_polycounts.png

Lastly, I'd make the straps solid geometry instead of folded bands. Just a simple water drop shape, extruded. Paint the middle part black/dark.

edit of the edit:
    you could also optimize other tubes on the character. The 8 sided arm-gas-flasks for instance are okay (could even be 9 or 10 perhaps) but the small tubes coming out of it shouldn't be 8 sided. 4,5 or maybe 6 - they seem to be about as thick as the helmet wires.
  • laim1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flHs1.jpg
    EGZ6c.jpg

Thanks for taking the time man! Took your advice for the helmet. Re modelled using geosphere and cut that from 360 to 122. Then made all of the tubes 4 sided. Took the whole thing from 1100 to 800

I hadn't thought to adjust the anatomy just by changing the low poly, I assumed I'd need to go back to the sculpt so I'll give that a go as well. Same goes for the rest of your advice, I'll give the whole thing a once over and see where it can be optimised
  • laim1991
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    on the costume it looks to me that the normal map needs the y ( green channel) flipping.
  • laim1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for pointing that out! Flipped and looks much better.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    laim1991 wrote: »
    I assumed I'd need to go back to the sculpt

If you want to do it proper, yes. Because pulling around vertices on the lowpoly will make it so the normal map doesn't have the right angles anymore (and of course you'll stretch the UV/texture a bit) so the normal map will technically be incorrect. But considering this is a organic shape, you can fudge things a bit, IMO.

Besides, you can always choose to not use the edited lowpoly if it looks very off.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    laim1991 wrote: »
    I assumed I'd need to go back to the sculpt

If you want to do it proper, yes. Because pulling around vertices on the lowpoly will make it so the normal map doesn't have the right angles anymore (and of course you'll stretch the UV/texture a bit) so the normal map will technically be incorrect. But considering this is a organic shape, you can fudge things a bit, IMO.

Besides, you can always choose to not use the edited lowpoly if it looks very off.

edit: if you've got some energy left I'd go back to the helmet again and make it around 200 tris - it looks rather blocky right now.

Perhaps you took the numbers in my image as a guideline for this specific helmet? They were not supposed to be, it's actually a 2 year old image just to show the relative polycounts for different sphere types.