Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Pinkbox

Thought i'd start up a sketchbook on here to track my progress and share with everyone :)

First up

Learning MudBox

6430010725_b7d25dcc3b_b.jpg

Still a while to go on this one. only blocked out the main form.
But im using it to learn mudboxs tools and try things out. (and also studying alot of anatomy so its burnt into my brain!)

So i just started with a default base mesh in mudbox then posed it out testing the mudbox joints and posing system. shaped it up a bit. sent to maya to chop off the arms. sent back to mudbox and sculpted up from there. sent in the base hair and cloth from maya and starting to sculpt them too.

Ive become more familiar with this workflow of sending stuff between programs without destoying the model.
Also learning the sculpting and posing tools of mudbox and becoming quick with knowing what tool to use for what and how they'l sculpt.

Crits and comments are welcome :poly142:

Replies

• allmighty_thunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allmighty_thunder polycounter lvl 13
    a couple of thing, you are on the right track, however, i dont feel that hair matches the rest of the ascetic and check you posing again; its rather awkward. keep working on it
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks

adjusted her pose and did a bit of work on the cloth tonight. wow all these folds are fun to deal with :P

6435352207_4d9f96baff_b.jpg

also i havnt started on the face, hair or feet and i feel her back needs some attention. also to soften up her stomach rolls :P

it also helped to reimport the cloth from Maya with its transformations frozen. was wondering why it was so hard to work with last night. doh
  • SSquir33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSquir33 polycounter lvl 12
    u jumped straight into the deep end with a full on figure sculpt!

i suggest focus on one part of anatomy..eg..torso..or just the head. or maybe just legs.

then revert back to pencil and paper and produce study plates from front,profile,3/4,back 3/4 views. (FUN..)

either way. these smaller chunks of study will allow you to absorb information easier and study more intensive.

if you're learning the program i suggest doing a hardsurface peice! figure sculpting rarely requires more than 2 brushes i think o.0.

keep it up and keep progressing!

CC for sculpt:
    revisit the lattissimus dorsi
    the thorax isnt looking solid
    add a lil more mass above the left hip to indicate a 'pinching' effect ..
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah yes lol. well its not the deepest end. she doesnt have arms :P

but yes i agree with the focusings on one part of anatomy. i've been doing sketches and studies while at work which has been helpful. I plan to work on some hands and heads/faces after this.

Mainly chose this sculpture to work on the torso and cloth and also as its not symetrical im sculpting twice as much without the mirror function on.

any suggestions to hardsurface sculpts? ive done a few stone sculpt tests :S

ill be back to work on this sculpt tonight but heres what i did last night -
    6470298769_6935260d5d.jpg

a tattoo mockup for a friend. she wanted a rose where the petals are butterfly wings. i think i used to many blue ones but im sure the tattoo artist will advise her on the best colours from inks
  • ShootandRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rocks are fun, but can turn to blobs if you're not careful. I find anything organic is fun to do in mudbox or zbrush

if you ever make it to zbrush, I love these brushes, maybe some of it can translate over to mudbox

http://www.selwy.com/2009/zbrush-clothes-tutorial/
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW that guys work is awesome! and yup i have some brushes in mudbox that use vector displacement maps to do folds and pinch but i may look at making my own to give me the different types of fold.
    I havent really used Zbrush so not sure how far behind mudbox is. seem to see alot more people using zbrush.

thanks heaps for that link! its very helpful.

I think im going to have to add more divisions to my mesh to really define the folds
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bit of a dump..

6799692523_8aa601f2d4_b.jpg
    venus di milo by pinkb0xx, on Flickr
    6799695479_8e4c203049_z.jpg
    6799689707_9c2ef29d55_z.jpg
    6799701721_2d0dda062d_z.jpg

first day i got my intuos4 :)
    6800024339_cb432e79bc.jpg

testing out painter
    6800023687_0a8abc6142_z.jpg
    vikki blows by pinkb0xx, on Flickr

6800024069_0a110cf627_z.jpg
    jim morrison by pinkb0xx, on Flickr

some studies
    6800022843_f774474049.jpg
  • SSquir33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    smooooooth. me like
    moar mudbux stuff pl0x
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks SSquir33

heres what im workin on now
    6874693791_6c8ee636a6_b.jpg

ive noticed a few things since i saved this screenshot, like the fingers may be a tad long and forearm to thin. Ive been looking at this all last week so some fresh eyes might be able to spot some other things before i move on to clothing her
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    nice Venus, her eyes are too small though.
  • SSquir33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice stuff im studyin the female nude too ...well....everyone is it seems -.-

the major forms are good, nice feel to it, double check teh sacrum as there shud be a nice triangle plane there,the back cords dusnt go all the way down into the butt

bring the base of the neck back so the neck angles a tad forward more

keep it up, im liking the face she has a cute nose