Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Handpainted Texturing - Feedback

Hi folks,
I am fairly new to painting stylised textures - but i love the ones done similar to those used for games like WOW, Jak and Daxter and Wind Waker. I have set myself a small project to model and texture this gate using two 1024 texture maps and tileable 256 maps. My main skills are in concept art and illustration - but i am looking to apply these skills to more stylised 3d modelling.
I am looking for feedback on purely the hand painted textures, texture maps and uv layouts. - rather than the model itself. any feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated.

28tdsuu.jpg
2ymbn2o.jpg
4udzb5.jpg
116rpjc.jpg
11ceg78.jpg

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    There really is no use to use the same repeating texture on the same sheet. Honestly, you've got the same thing repeating twice on the left side in both directions and then you have a small one which is also the same. You're better off just having 2-3 planks that are the same.

In the end you're just wasting space that you could use for other more unique textures in this situation. The handpainting looks good to me, the other thing I would crit would be how many polys you have on the bolts, you could get away with a lot less. Considering they don't do much for the silhouette and will add to the polycount like crazy if you have lots of them.

Good work so far though with the painting skills, it's a nice result, kind of midway through realistic and handpainted cartoony!
  • Zoltar_Speaks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the feedback Chris!
    Would I be better off applying that 256 wood tile to the gate itself? Thinking about it, perhaps i don't need any 1024 maps, but can get away with just two 256 tiles (wood and the bricks) and one 512 for the unique lock, steel and bolts.

I'll modify my maps tomorrow and post some update shots.
    Glad you feel the hand painted textures are working. It's challenging, but really fun!
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheese_Shinobi polycounter lvl 9
    I think you can do alot more on the stone texture, it feels a bit flat compared to the others. The metal texture is really good! I also think you could highlight the wood a tiny bit more to make it pop out. Good start!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with Cheese_Shinobi about the metal looking awesome and the stones needing more work. I think it is the fat black lines separating the stones that makes everything feel flat, perhaps add a little bevel and a bit of color there instead. For the wood, a clearer separation between planks would help a lot :)
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    The painting is pretty good, but I like the way you drew the walls in the concept a lot more than their model. I think you shuold have made the wall edges (where they meet the door hinges) a bit more broken down. Remember to put some shadows on, you can start with a skylight bake of shadows and then hand paint some more shadows using the baked ones as reference.

Gotta agree with chris also, make the bolts way lighter.
  • Kaiser D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice wood and metal! I agree with everyone regarding the rocks. On the concept they look all random and unique and interesting and then the gray, symmetrical ones you put on the model fall flat. Where is that awesome size and order variation from the stone slabs in the concept? That would REALLY kick that wall up a notch.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Modeling:
    -rocks far too lowpoly and too straight
    -actually, everything is too straight & clean right now. Move some verts around, make stuff crooked.
    -optimize bolts drastically. Either lose them or make them simple cones (no truncation)
    -optimize lock
    -metal bars are too thin and incorrectly placed
    -spikes too thick and stumpy
    -have some planks stick out at the bottom

Textures:
    -too clean. add blood, dirt, much more dents and cuts and bruises. some small vegetation in creases, perhaps.
    -are the rocks round? No? then why are they shaded 'round'?
    -lacking color and color variation. Example: rocks are never pure grey.
    -planks are a bit too narrow (they also lack the reference's horizontal lines but those wouldn't work IRL anyway: not a solid construction)

Your UV is also very inefficient and unbalanced. Only a 128² for all the rocks?
    Make something like a 256² tile, and then a small strip with ground/soil dirt specs for the bottom. Most importantly, while modeling THINK about how to unwrap and texture efficiently.

I'd say toss the rocks and start those over, the rest can be tweaked and fixed.

You should be able to be done with a 256² rock [tiling], 256² 'wood'[tiling], 256² 'detail' (assorted repeated objects like the rock strip, metal bars, rope, spikes.[some parts should tile horizontally]) and 3 'unique' 128²s for the skull, the lock and the text on the sign. You could build the sign with the regular 'wood' and 'detail' textures.
  • Zoltar_Speaks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback people.
    Today i decided to change those brick tileables (as it seems the biggest issue letting the model down at the moment).
    Do the bricks seem more random and less flat now?

I added some cracks and chips to the rocks. Once its tiling properly i'll add some dry vegetation (as Snader suggested) and see how that goes.

I'll work on the other issues including the uv map layouts and post new progresses tomorrow. at the moment this is all i've managed to modify.

progressz.jpg
    progressz.jpg
  • mr gelmir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr gelmir polycounter lvl 10
    I'm not that strong at texturing, so I can't help you with that, but what really bothers me ATM is that the UV's of the wall don't align around the corner. there's a massive seam visible. I'd suggest you fix that, as it kills the otherwise decent picture.