Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Stadium] Hockey, DiHydro

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
DiHydro polycounter lvl 6
edit: changed my stadium into Frozen Sludge Rink, I'm not too experienced with Unity's materials yet so I don't think I'd execute my idea well. The holidays ate up my time and now the end date has been changed so I am gonna try and finish as much as I can.

Hi everyone, I've been a long time frequenter here at Polycount, but have never really posted anything and have always looked from the outside. So I decided to created a new account here to enter this awesome challenge. May this be the first to many that will come in the future.

So my idea is hockey with a twist. Instead of having an ice hockey rink, the mutants will be slip and sliding around in a sludge rink. Here is what I have so far in terms of concept. I'll probably do some more research and get my ideas finalized. Thoughts much appreciated :)

mutantleagueenvironment.jpg

Replies

• DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been modeling here and there and for now I have a clean base that I can work off of.

sludgerinkwip01.jpg

I am starting to add pipes surrounding the rink which will have fluids leaking from it.
    I want to maintain that professional feel of sports broadcasts and at the same time give the messiness of a mutant battle may even look at some real steel for some reference.
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've compiled some more reference images, I'm getting different ideas flying around in my head and am gradually deciding on one (I have a habit of jumping around too much.)

mlreferencecompile.jpg

The texturing on my rink wall so far...

sludgerinkwip02.jpg

I'm planning on moving the UVs on the glass around so that the cracks are more unique per wall.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Raise the glass behind the nets up some.

2807902.jpg
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your input Jeffro, changed as suggested. Your stadium is coming along nicely btw :)

a little update on my ideas...

sludgerinkwip03.jpg

The idea behind the metal frame structure above the rink floor is so that it holds a crane that is responsible for removing dead/injured players from the field. The structure is also holding moving advertisement signs. I might ad in the spot lights or two as well.
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some WIP screenshots from maya, diffuse only. Crits/ideas very much welcomed.

I've recycled a lot of the textures I created and put it into more than one object.

sludgerinkwip04.jpg

rinkwallwip01.jpg

netwip01.jpg

netwip02.jpg

sludgerinkwip05.jpg

Back to work I go.
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update, I redid some textures to make it more tileable.

Everything is looking way too clean so far. I gota dirty it up with some decals in here, maybe blood stains, dirt, and green sludge of course...

A last minute idea came to me, I'm going to put this stadium on top of an oil rig.

I don't know if I can finish on time, but if I don't finish then I'll continue working on this even after deadline.

sludgerinkwip06.jpg

sludgerinkwip07.jpg

sludgerinkwip08.jpg

sludgerinkwip09.jpg

sludgerinkwip10.jpg
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this makes me wish someone made a baseball diamond. :c
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe Skank its a shame you don't have an awesome baseball field for your awesome little league team, your entry is amazing.
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so my internet went down for a couple of days even through the old submission date, luckily I found out the deadline was extended so I continued working.

I still haven't "dirtied" the stadium yet, and am running out of texture space. I didn't realize Unity's materials were so limited and there is actually no shader editor built into it. However I did manage to find strumpy shader editor, which is free and looks pretty promising. I'll continue to fiddle around with that...

Anyways here is my progress...

sludgerinkwip11.jpg

sludgerinkwip13.jpg

sludgerinkwip12.jpg

the faded duplicate texture means I have an alpha channel saved into the targa file.

mutantleaguetextureset.jpg