Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Martini Bar

Hello,

Newcomer to posting here at polycount and 3d modeling in general. This would have to be my first project that I plan to take to completion and I thought a thread would help motivate me as well as provide good feedback.

I plan on taking this into UDK and giving it the whole treatment.

First up is the reference. The scene will be heavily based off of this real-life (but sadly closed) martini bar in Chicago that my uncle used to run.
fUApn.jpg
KeQD8.jpg
sDySD.jpg

I'm not going for 100% accuracy but I want the overall feel and geometry. I'm not exactly sure where I want to take the atmosphere, but the reference images don't show the feel I'm going for.

Now for some images of the progress I've made today on the left wall (if you face the fireplace).
bXmpf.jpg
PdW7P.jpgOnfGB.jpg

The panels and door are modules and were instanced here in the scene. I think most of the detail will be added via normals but I've never worked with them so right now I'm just feeling my way through this project.

Any and all feedback is extremely welcome. I want this looking good.

Replies

• farettig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smallish update. Worked on the modules and cleaned up some extra polys. Worked on the corner piece.

U136v.jpg

Quick question, what's a good way to present progress shots of things. I know it depends on the subject matter, but right now it's looking like frontal views with wires is coming across best. Any advice on materials/viewport settings or even render settings would be much appreciated.
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw that first picture and was like :O no way is that UDK.

:(

nice photo though.

as for wires and things. in that last shot the doorway has a lot of extra edges that run to nowhere. maybe you could weld them off to the side.

To present them how about showing them in context of the scene with wires? instance them around.
  • farettig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After taking lloyd's advice I cleaned up a lot more edge loops, flipped normals and did some all around cleaning. And I did a layout test of 1/2 of the room to see how it worked. Lit with 2 omni's for now

First w/o wires;
    uYV7e.jpg

Second w/ wires;

V6gMh.jpg

Ceiling is a rough approximation but I like how it's sitting. Most of it's detail will be with normals.
  • farettig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not much progress today, just worked on some more geometry and spent a boat load of time trying to figure out normal maps. Turns out 3ds 2012 doesn't like making them so after firing up xnormals it finally worked.
    'RbWMT.jpg

And here it is tiled (badly) with a light source in unity (just used for a quick test) as I don't have marmoset and still don't know how to use UDK well enough.

o7sEG.jpg

It's still a wip, but just an example of what I am going for.

Cheers
  • JTerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marmoset has a free trial, but you'll want to build this in UDK if you're trying to demonstrate a real-time environment.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • farettig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JTerry; Oh I definitely will be building it in UDK, but I just wanted to quickly test the normal so I dropped it into unity and took a screen capture as I know how to do it quickly there. I should definitely start learning udk. Thanks for the heads-up about marmoset as well!

TeriyakiStyle; Thanks for the kinds words, I have a lot of work ahead and won't be in UDK for a bit but I'll remember you if I have any questions.
  • SINtuition
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might want to try XoliulShader 2 to texture your objects in Max. Just make sure to pickup the hotfix for max that repairs the normal map renderer.
  • farettig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now including fireplace!
    cbuXd.jpg

Was busy with a few other things so I only got this done. Learned a lot with the fireplace, specifically how to add edges/verts and correct weird mistakes when extruding and such. Small things to you pros, but groundbreaking to me
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The first reference pic is cool in how much it looks like super-high-class digital work.

Your modeling so far is decent, aside the previously mentioned excess loops in the door, but your 'modules' seem to be are really small. I'd try to see if there's not a way to make larger chunks.

You've also got a bunch of T-splits between the ceiling and the wall panels, which could give some issues in UDK. So it's pretty important you terminate your loops at the end of the wallpanels. (bonus: you save polies)
  • farettig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the whole right wall mostly in + windows/window wells and the coolers.

rp9tx.jpg

Feeling good about the project at this point.

Edit; here's another shot to better show the space and full wall
    TUqFA.jpg
  • farettig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's all the modules for the walls laid out in a clean fashion. About to move onto unwrapping them and working on higher poly details.

LIjrX.jpg
  • WetWired
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty sure it looks nothing like what I'm remember but for some reason it reminds me of the bar in The Shining
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Thought the first picture was a vray/MR render! Weird.. Nice progres so far
  • farettig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another wip shot. Unwrapped the wall modules and am currently building it in UDK. Did some base wood texture (wrong type of wood and color) and feeling my way around UDK.

QInkb.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Jumping into UDK always feels good.
    I love being able to block out an environment and actually being able to walk around in it.

That's a good point, actually.
    Try dropping in a Skeletal mesh of a biped character from UDK's Content Browser for scale :)