Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Well Scene

Pennywise
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Pennywise polycounter lvl 18
Been working on this for a little while now. Trying to get better at hand painted textures. I think its about done, but if anyone has any comments or critiques, I would appreciate it.

WellUpdate15.jpg

WellUpdate_ModelSheet.jpg

Replies

• Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Let me pre-empt this by saying I have only very slightly touched hand painted textures, so I'm not sure how right/wrong I am.

I think pushing the highlights on the main stone texture on the well is maybe an idea, it's looking quite flat compared to other bits.

Also the tiles could do with some more variation in colour, they seem quite muted compared to everything else, might just help draw your eye towards it a little more.

But that's about it. Like it. Enjoying your lamppost.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Hey there! Nice little scene. You could maybe bend the foliage planes a bit, and add some more grass, flowers, and mushrooms in a few places like at the base of the tree and the well. I also like the lamp, would be neat if it were casting light on some stuff!
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    I'm liking this scene. I think your textures could use some more color variation though. Also, I think you should paint in the leaves a bit because they're less rendered than the rest of the tree. So far so good though. :)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting rid of black shadows (both in your texture and lighting) will do a lot to make this more believable. Just don't shade with black and white, it makes everything look terribly lifeless.
  • Pennywise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pennywise polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for all the crits, that helps a lot. I set up some lights,a nd worked on some of the textures today.

WellFinal.jpg

TextureSheetFinal.jpg
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Liking the rework on the tiles, I still think a little variation in some of the colours, just a few randomised ones that are a bit more saturated or something. But much better. Keep it up.
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    nice work, i think you made an improvement on the second pass. i agree with elith that you should change a few bricks and get some slight color changes to make it pop. perhaps do the same with a few leaves on the tree as well, as it kind of looks like a green blob. good job!
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheese_Shinobi polycounter lvl 9
    Great progress so far!
    I agree with above, push the stone texture even more and give it more shadows and highlights, as well as the leaves.
    Also, an Ambient Occlusion map can be really usefull to add for hand-painted texture in my opinion. Keep up the good work!