Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gambit Redesign (help greatly appreciated)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Architaylor polycounter lvl 12
Hey guys :)

Here's my attempt to recreate Marko Djurdjevic's redesign of Gambit. Still obviously a WIP, but it's started to reach completion so I thought I'd post it up to get some feedback :D

So far I've almost finished the high poly, and I'm just doing some low poly tests to make sure I will be able to bake the normals.

faces1.jpg

fullbody1.jpg

baketest1.jpg

I would really, really appreciate as much feedback as possible. Particularly in regards to the low poly bake. I've done a lot of speed sculpts before but it's just dawned on me that I have almost no idea how to retopologise a mesh. My plan of attack was to retopo the trousers, shoes, hoody and scarf as one piece, the coat and arms as another and then the head as the last piece. But honestly I have no idea whether this is practical :O

Thanks,

Taylor

Replies

• Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthy9986 polycounter lvl 7
    Im no expert but aren't the back of the knees on the low poly going to collapse on themselves when the character walks with the low poly you have? I am pretty sure you want supporting loops around the knees so that the mesh won't collapse on itself when the character walks. I hope someone with more knowledge one the subject comments for you.

As for the high poly. I don't like the rolls in the coat and pants. They don't appear to actually be rolled up. Can you give a link to the concept art. My quick google searching couldn't find it. Keep it up he looks good!
  • Architaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply :)

Ok so more loops round the knees, I'll do something about that today :) I realise now I probably should have posted the quaded mesh so the loops were easily recognisable :)

Sure, here's the ref by Marko Djurdjevic:

tumblr_lem9e1gK9w1qd3pcvo1_500.jpg

I agree about the rolled up trousers/coat, on the ref it seems a lot more baggy, rather than rolled :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    nice start! but the ref by marko is definitely way younger in comparison to yours, dunno how true you want to stay to the ref, also are there realy lip piercings going on like this? i would assume that the other would be inside the mouth.

Is your lowpolymesh subdivided by the way? the edges are looking round O_O
  • Architaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Neox :) Yeah Marko's looks way younger. I'm going by the concept fairly loosely tbh. That's partly due to the time constraints of the project (it's a uni project, introduction to zbrush kind of thing) and partly due to my inability in zbrush haha :) I'm basically aiming to sculpt a cool looking face, and any resemblance to the concept is a bonus :)

Ah you are totally correct about the lowpoly/subdivisions. I'm a bit of a noob in Maya so I reckon I must have accidently pressed 3. I'm much more confidence in Max but can't stand the Nitrous viewport, hence the smoothing in Maya. I'm experimenting with the xoliul shader though and it's looking good so far :)

headwip2.jpg

wireswip2.jpg

Some more high poly work, hoping to have the head finished and baked tonight. As well as more work on the low poly, just to save work later on in the week :)