Starting a sketchbook here to get some feedback from others

Some recent stuff
yosemite.jpg

jungle.jpg

desert.jpg

palletepractice.jpg

Working on this right now
silentcatacombs.jpg

I find myself wishing that I didn't have to focus on making a bunch of finished pieces for my classes and could do more studies/practice. I feel like I'm stagnating and not learning anything

Replies

• allmighty_thunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allmighty_thunder polycounter lvl 13
    nice, the compositions lack a good foreground element at the moment
  • Futzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice, the compositions lack a good foreground element at the moment
    Yeah, I definitely see what you're saying and it was running through my head as I looked over them for upload

In any case here's what I did today
    --updated

Wanted to try my hand at subtly including a figure in a piece, went with the back/side view here to make it as least intrusive as possible
  • Oranghe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Studies are important but remember you learn by doing and right now starting an image and finishing it will help allot in the long run also everything will benefit you, working things out, workflow speed not just studies alone it's a marriage of both so don't feel disheartened there's time for everything! but good job for seeing images through to the end.

Keep pushing lighting!
  • Futzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice, Oranghe :)

Put some more work into this today, think it's as far as I want to take it

livingwaterway2.jpg

Now time to get back to that mammoth that's at the end of the op
  • Futzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting work on a series of 12 pieces that I decided to develop into a story arc for my Concentration portion of AP art.

I'll share the story itself when I develop it further, but the basics of it is that we are following these two dudes on some world on their journey

conc1.jpg

The next piece (wip) is though the door and an introduction of their transportation and some sort of control interface, and allows me to design a vehicle (that I will delve into outside of the series) without going out of my way (something a few people suggested that I should include in a portfolio in applying for colleges).
    conc2wip.jpg

airship.jpg

A sort of airship using modern pressure/lift designs and vectored propulsion. Just trying to get the rough form out here using alchemy and some brushes

And since not everything that I need to design for the series is worthy of having time spent on them, I'm doing a sort of storyboard series to fill in the gaps
    sketchstoryboard.jpg
  • Futzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I did not realize that the Feb 1st deadline for the Art Center Ent Design course was the hard deadline, and assumed it was a rolling admission like the other courses there.

I made an appointment to speak with a counselor but don't feel like I have enough or good enough work to make it in. I'm taking today off of my classes to do work. What is the most important things I can do in a day or two to add to this portfolio?
    http://www.derekdennison.com/art/