Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Pawno's Emporium in UDK

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Hideous polycounter lvl 7
I'm currently remaking Pawno's Emporium from the N64 game Banjo-Tooie in UDK, for use in my application to Swedish uni. I'm definitely a newbie to this whole "make stuff in 3d" thing, only done it for about a year, so any critique you can give me is welcome, but you're not likely to see any major changes before Dec 1st as that's my deadline - except of course, if you can suggest any props I should put on the shelves and such.

oyC0z.jpg
gzKMj.png
FnrAj.png
NPEt0.jpg

I'm well aware that the wood looks like... crap, at the moment, but I don't think I have time to fix it before the deadline if I want to fit in more stuff.

Thanks for taking a look! :)

For reference, here's Pawno's Emporium in Banjo-Tooie:
UkWRS.jpg

Replies

• Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthy9986 polycounter lvl 7
    Eggs or feathers would be an easy asset to create for the shelves.. I would suggest making the puzzle piece floating, glowing and the center of interest. Right now the lanterns and sunlight are really bright in the scene.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    OHMYGOD BANJO-KAZOOIE I LOVE YOU! :D

*ahem*

As @Anthy9986 mentioned, the eggs and feathers are a good bet.
    It looks good, but I think the main problem is that you are not looking at your reference enough.

For instance, the brickwork is entirely different in Banjo-Tooie than your scene. And the table is made from a stretched version of the same texture, rather than the pale stone/wood that you have.
    There are also beams on the ceiling. Although I like what you have done with the windows and I think they look better than the original.
    I hope that helps, I truly love these games and can't wait to see what you do with the scene :)
  • Hideous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthy9986 wrote: »
    Eggs or feathers would be an easy asset to create for the shelves.. I would suggest making the puzzle piece floating, glowing and the center of interest. Right now the lanterns and sunlight are really bright in the scene.

I actually made a spinning animated version of it... but I have no idea how to get the animated version placed into the scene.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You will need to change the StaticMeshActor into an InterpActor by right-clicking it and selecting 'Replace With...' (I think).

You can then change it's Physics to 'PHYS_Rotating' in the object properties (select the object and press F4) and set a value in its 'Rotation Rate'.

Hourences has a good explanation of animating simple objects such as this :)
  • Hideous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot wrote: »
    You will need to change the StaticMeshActor into an InterpActor by right-clicking it and selecting 'Replace With...' (I think).

You can then change it's Physics to 'PHYS_Rotating' in the object properties (select the object and press F4) and set a value in its 'Rotation Rate'.

Hourences has a good explanation of animating simple objects such as this :)

Awesome, thank you so much.

The reason I'm not following the original all that much texture-wise is because many of the texture choices were made because of performance considerations - the bench texture is just a stretched floor texture, for example.

So, here's a little bit of progress. The beams really helped it:

tysG8.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, that's looking much better!
    I like the feathers, although they might benefit from being a bit bigger.

You could put some musical notes on the shelf close to the camera and perhaps the B-K logo on one of the storage boxes too, like this:

JRL018.jpg?t=1189930441

Keep up the good work!