Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Props, Advice Needed

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Bearded_Man polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys,

Ain't been on here for a while and needed some crits, Have decided to create some fantasy props to include in my portfolio, If created to a good enough standard.
This is however my first approach to painting textures and I am trying to achieve a stylized cartoony look.

Screen grabs below

Thanks

Replies

• Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is within max.... 580 Tris
    eldw1t.jpg
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am abit unsure with the chimney texture, I am trying to achieve a scrapy look as if multiple sheets of metal have been bolted on.

More work needs to be done for example more bits of dirt and scratches, also mabye some variation in colour on the metal.

Many thanks for your help
    ab042g.jpg
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .....And my UV, 1024 as of now however will be reduced.
    ojdruf.jpg
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another prop that I am also on with at the moment. I just wanted to create some simple props in order to practice and demonstrate my hand painted texturing skills. Treasure chest below....806 Tris.

Your comments and crits always appreciated smile.gif

Cheers

2jbhjq.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    More contrast on your textures is a big thing. This will create a lot more depth and interest in the textures.

Your materials should be rendered like that specific material (metal usually shiny, harder specular, wood not so much, etc).

Watch the blurry painting in your textures. It's making your objects appear very soft.

A really powerful, clearly defined color palette will do wonders too.
  • Kensey Quarantine
    The model is perfect! Its very lowpoly so you can implement it in iOS or Android running games.
    The texture is beautiful too, you have nica cartoon look of details, but 1. You may lowres it to 512 without noticable quality damage; if you making as low as possible polycount the texture size also can be valuable; 2. If you can, paint som e Ambient Occlusion-like shading on inner edjes, otherwize generate AO texture in max; for outer edjes better draw a white little scratces. Just make ell the edjes more noticable.
    Overall, the texture is really a good job.
    speedxl.jpg
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    As Jeffro said, you need to adjust your levels to pop your contrast. Your colors are also pretty desaturated and muddy.

Your scrappy metal is almost there, you need to put a different color where the torn / ripped pieces of metal are a more orange rusty material.

A good way to check your object's contrast is to just not use a white background (or in your case, a very light gray) to present your art. Try a neutral tone like 50% gray. If you blur your eyes and your object blends in to the 50% background too much, you need to up your contrast.
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, Cheers for the input....Its a great help! :) have taken all your advice on board and will update shortly.

Thanks
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I'd break down things honestly.

Making several smaller textures 256x256 or using one 512x512 etc etc
    Having 3 different tiling metal wit bolt placement
    3 different bricks in a row that tiles.

Just smart layout of textures, what you're doing now just makes it harder for you to make changes. Especially if you have curved bits.

If you're using Max for example, just create a long box, texture it with bricks for example, add edgeloops, then use a bend modifier to bend to bend it.

In the end you'll gain quality even if you have lower-res textures. I mean, the bricks at the bottom, you see 4 at a time right? from every angle, so what if the other 4 on the other side was the exact same bricks? You'd never know really and you'd save a ton of texture space. :)