Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help with a turtle?

Thought I would update this thread seeing as I've had the hand in and 'finished' my model. Here is my final turnaround for your perusal. Crits encouraged!! (Also, youtube seems to not want to include my sound:\ It was only the theme tune anyway:)) Let me know what you think.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5L_F5EqMl0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5L_F5EqMl0[/ame]

Hey folks,I've recently started a character project for uni and I was wondering if I could perhaps get some much needed feedback?

Anyway I decided to try and create one of the TMNT re-designs by Dave Rapoza

v2bZz.jpg

So here's what I've got so far. It's my first character in zbrush so any crits are welcome. It's still in pretty early stages at the moment but I wanted to nail the form before doing much more to it. I'm aware it's kinda leaning forward but I had to do this to accommodate for the shell, which on it's own I can foresee some potential headaches :\

FAMUL.png

plND3.png

ZRKc7.png

M46z9.png

But yeah, any input is helpful, as i said it's my first proper time delving into zbrush for character stuff.

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• rorozilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rorozilla polycounter lvl 6
    its a very good sculpt! your anatomy is looking good, if it were me, i would maybe make the head and feet a tad bigger, but not to much! There is something a bit off with the thighs maybe making them smaller at the waist would fix it, since right now they are very rounded.

keep it up! and cant wait to see the rest of it!
  • saf3hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, I see what you mean about the hips, they're almost shelf-like haha. Cheers and I'll try to keep this updated :)
  • Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ray
    I did a super dirty paintover to adjust the proportions a bit. The head felt small, the hands felt long, and the chest felt too narrow. I like where you're going with it.

FAMUL.png
  • Idontknow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turtles are mostly green, and they dont stand upright......

You color scheme right now is all wrong!
  • saf3hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @idontknow

Haha I knew something was off, couldnt quite put my finger on it though!

cheers for the help so far guys, much appreciated!
  • saf3hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so I've resized a few bits and pieces now which i think look a bit better. I've also blocked in the rough idea i had for the shell as well (pretty basic). I think next, I'll start to address the hands and feet which I think would be the next logical step before I go any further with anything else.

58nbC.png

a4lmT.png

3Z7IP.png

Also I think i'll keep slugging away and post stuff here. It should be a good learning experience :)
  • saf3hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey again, bit of an update with my turtle. It's been semi-slow going due to crashes and generally my zbrush noobness causing me to have to redo a load of stuff time and again :poly127: Well after the latest crash I though I better post an update and get some crits before I dive back into re-sculpting stuff. I was at a stage where I could ramp up the poly count and start a bit more high res stuff but no luck obviously.
    Any help would be great but I'm especially after a bit of guidance concerning the shelly parts on the front and back, I'm not all too sure how to go about doing them like my reference.

66tF4.png

IfEsp.png

9jXPV.png

oy5Gx.png

kgETw.png

Altogether I'm not going to be able to spend much more time on sculpting as I desperately need to start the textures. I reckon it'll be a late one tonight and that'll be it (we'll see).

Anyway Thanks for any input you can give, even if its just motivation to redo the last 4 hours worth of work lol.
  • saf3hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just want to quickly say cheers for the help with this polycount, both in this thread and the few quick ones on other boards I may have started :)
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    it's looking lots better although he looks like he's leaning a bit too far forward atm maybe straighten him a bit