Home Contests & Challenges Archives

MUTANT LEAGUE - Questions and Answers

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
This is the place to post any questions you may have. We will try our best to respond in a timely manner.

ENJOY THE CHALLENGE!!

THE RULES!!!

http://www.polycount.com/mutant-league-challenge/

******* ANNOUNCEMENT *******

You know what. This isn't a contest with prizes so fuck it. My call. Adam can hate me but this is my thing. So feel free to do robots, skeletons or whatever was "IN" Mutant League. If it was in MUTANT LEAGUE games you are ok.

I'm not going to limit everyone in the theme when this is a community challenge where we are all trying to make some fun art. The environments are wide open so why not the characters.

I feel this is better for the challenge and people will have more fun and hopefully get more participants involved.

******* END OF ANNOUNCEMENT *******

JANUARY 7TH, 2012 at 11:59PM EST

Replies

• Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Is the texture limit 512x2 or 1024x2? Rules were a bit confusing for my tiny brain.

Cheers!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav wrote: »
    Is the texture limit 512x2 or 1024x2? Rules were a bit confusing for my tiny brain.

Cheers!

Sorry it was a typo... I'll fix it... 512x512 is the correct size
  • The_Onomatopoeia
    this may be a dumb question but is this just limited to the characters/enviros of the games or can we make up our own things and use diff sports?
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Yea, i would also like to know if we can make characters for any sport of our choice, or are we limited?

ANSWER: Any "REAL LIFE" (as in any sport that is officially played and recognized as a real sport) sport can be entered for the Mutant League Challenge. -Moody
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Any sport can be entered for the Mutant League Challenge.
  • hulkspidy51
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if this will help anyone or not but it's helping me gain a sense for what environment I might want to do

http://www.thesmartass.info/play/genesis/19172/Mutant+League+Football
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys if you want to make Mutant League badminton, bowling, soccer, hockey, football, baseball, waterpolo... it don't matter. Just make it sexy and make it rock.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    This might be a little bit of a stupid question.

But regarding teams it mentions that the presentation image includes the mutants in the arena. Would the plural form of mutants just be multiple copies of the character artist's single mutant inside the arena?

I'd guess so, just making sure though.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    The original mutant league video games included robot teams.
    Are robots allowed for this challenge?

Post reply edit:
    Thanks! I wasn't sure if the theme was "mutant sports" or "continue the mutant league games tradition"
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias wrote: »
    The original mutant league video games included robot teams.
    Are robots allowed for this challenge?

EDIT, PLEASE READ: This contest is just for creating mutant themed sports videogame art, under the same umbrella as the Mutant League series of games. As such, lets keep robots out of this one and stick to mutants only.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This might be a little bit of a stupid question.

But regarding teams it mentions that the presentation image includes the mutants in the arena. Would the plural form of mutants just be multiple copies of the character artist's single mutant inside the arena?

I'd guess so, just making sure though.

Yeah. I mean if the character guy has time to do more than one then by all means.. Or small variants... Up to you guys.
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah. I mean if the character guy has time to do more than one then by all means.. Or small variants... Up to you guys.

I think he was meaning can he copy paste the one character around in the beauty shot to give a sense of more players in the env.

maybe add different number decals to the other characters
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    sweeeet :) this sounds fun! few questions about rules & some inconsistencies.

From Character rules:
    You may use double sided geometry, just remember they’re considered towards your final triangle count
    does this apply to Environment art as well? It isn't noted in Environment Art rules, and is a very specific call-out for character artists.

ANSWER: Yeah double sided is fine. -Moody
    Post-processing is allowed so long as it is done in your presentation package (UDK, Max, etc.) and NOT in Photoshop.
    hue/saturation, brightness/contrast, DoF, blur, motion blur, screen effects (vignette, etc) are acceptable but MUST be done within your package
    with the platform goal being mobile/browser, a few post processing effects are not widely supported on platforms, but are allowed? Is the target for the contest the platform, but not with the intention of getting it to run, or is the intention to use what is currently supported on some?

just looking to clarify, if its intended to be a pretty scene regardless of platform with tools available, and the target is a guideline for polycounts - then cool :)
    Just looking for clarification.

ANSWER: Yeah since so many things are dependent on platform and so many other factors we aren't going to limit the post process, fx, etc. Mainly just the texture sizes and polycounts. :) Easier for everyone this way. -Moody
  • FirstKeeper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder if I can make a field judge-executioner. I mean any sports have field judges, I would love to make one :)

ANSWER: Yeah that would be fine since they are part of the game/field. -Moody
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To keep the thread cleaner I'm going to just edit the questions or posts with my answers. It will help people more I think by not having to search down for a response and keeps post count down.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    EDIT, PLEASE READ: This contest is just for creating mutant themed sports videogame art, under the same umbrella as the Mutant League series of games. As such, lets keep robots out of this one and stick to mutants only.

I'm guessing then that skeletons are out as well, even though the Mutant League games did have skeleton teams?

ANSWER: No Skeletons. In the brief it made no mention of skeletons, or anything else but Mutants. -Moody

As of now the brief only really mentions technical requirements. I think it would be better if the brief mentioned theme requirements as well, or at least guidelines.

Noted. -Moody

It's not clear from the brief itself whether you have to make/redesign a character from the Mutant League games, or design your own. It's also not clear if you can pick any sport, or have to stick to the sports featured in the Mutant League games. And if the character still has to fit in the Mutant League universe, or if can be your own.

ANSWER: Feel free to make your own up following the guidelines provided or do a remake of past characters. Up to you. -Moody

These questions are already covered in this topic now, but for future contests, it should really be mentioned in the brief itself. :poly108:
  • Scozzi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scozzi polycounter lvl 10
    I feel like this is probably going to come off as an really ignorant question, but where is the initial rules and announcement? I really want to take part in this one, just would like to see what Im getting into and requirements and such.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Announcement is on the main polycount page, and the rules are at:
    http://www.polycount.com/mutant-league-challenge/
  • scrawld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scrawld polycounter lvl 12
    Another dumb question.

The rules say the deadline is 5 weeks from the start date. When was the challenge started? I read that as though the challenge hadn't officially started yet.

ANSWER: The Challenge was started the moment it was announced. -Moody
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Could War games be considered a sport for the mutant league Challenge?

*Post Ninja Edit* CTF or King of the hill type War Games

ANSWER: Not sure what you mean by war games but if it's not considered a "SPORT" then no. -Moody

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon wrote: »
    Could War games be considered a sport for the mutant league Challenge?

*Post Ninja Edit* CTF or King of the hill type War Games

ANSWER: Not sure what you mean by war games but if it's not considered a "SPORT" then no.

ANSWER: Gonna have to say no on this one.
  • tinokun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tinokun polycounter lvl 11
    Can it be a known, but not real sport? I have a great idea for Mutant League Quiddich(sp?) stadium...

ANSWER: No -Moody
  • WillC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Unlike Mutant League Football which featured five species of mutant composed of aliens, skeletons, robots, trolls, and superhumans; Mutant League Hockey narrows it down to three: robots, undead skeletons and trolls."

So far, that is the only definition of Mutant given. I will go along with that, and exclude X-men.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Cool theme. Would kart racing be included as a sport?
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know there are professional Kart circuits out there.

Although, if you're making a character, I would include the kart into the polycount.
  • allmighty_thunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allmighty_thunder polycounter lvl 13
    i have a break coming up at my school and was thinking to do both an environment and a character...is this allowed?
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    So, any sport is available - would that include weird non-realistic sports. For example, something like quidditch and such?
  • Yuriy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have one question . There is no limitation in FX , but what about presentation ? Can i use DX11 features in UDK , for example ?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria wrote: »
    So, any sport is available - would that include weird non-realistic sports. For example, something like quidditch and such?

Please read through the other page of questions and answers. This has already been answered.

No.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuriy wrote: »
    I have one question . There is no limitation in FX , but what about presentation ? Can i use DX11 features in UDK , for example ?

Yes you can use dx11... Since everything is so dependent upon which platform you dev on it is hard to justify that only stuff avail on iOS is in the challenge.

Guys.. make sexy art with the specs provided. :) We all know you can do it.
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    Please read through the other page of questions and answers. This has already been answered.

No.

Ah, my bad - I see now it was answered.

I can swear I never saw that : /

But thanks for the answer nevertheless.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No worries and good luck :)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    So no skeletons? Does that count for stadiums too? are we allowed skeletons / bones laying around our stadium? I was thinking of using skulls and stuff for bowling pins?
  • Rico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about fighting arenas? Like UFC or a WWE cage match setup?
  • Fatman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We've established that term "mutant" excludes skeleton and robot characters, but what stadium themes would be acceptable? Which would be excluded?

My first inclination is a Gothic/Demonic setting (lots of horned skulls, spiky bits, and braziers [brey-zhers]), but would this be an acceptable theme?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ANSWERS: Stadiums aren't as limited as far as themes go.

ANSWERS: Fighting arenas are also ok since UFC fighters are allowed.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    I'm guessing then that skeletons are out as well, even though the Mutant League games did have skeleton teams?

ANSWER: No Skeletons. In the brief it made no mention of skeletons, or anything else but Mutants. -Moody

Aw, too bad! I thought those where the coolest characters from Mutant League. :poly142:

Not to mention, the banner for the challenge on the Polycount news page prominently features two Mutant League skeletons. :poly129:
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The skeletons wasn't my call. Sorry folks
  • naky1000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry but reading all the above questions & answers i cudnt understand what does mutant mean...i mean to say mutant is a being having a different genetic codes than the others rite ??
    but wat if the mutant has genetically sucked some metal in & has got mechanical arms or legs...or he cant breath in the environment so he has attached a head gear....or wat if part of his body shows of skeleton becoz his skin cant stand the light or somthing like tht...is that accepted.....or does he have to be completely ORGANIC

wat i mainly ask can the Mutant have features partly...some pat robotic, some organic etc...?? merely bcoz its fun....but hey u guys r the one to tell !!!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ******* ANNOUNCEMENT *******

You know what. This isn't a contest with prizes so fuck it. My call. Adam can hate me but this is my thing. So feel free to do robots, skeletons or whatever was "IN" Mutant League. If it was in MUTANT LEAGUE games you are ok.

I'm not going to limit everyone in the theme when this is a community challenge where we are all trying to make some fun art. The environments are wide open so why not the characters.

I feel this is better for the challenge and people will have more fun and hopefully get more participants involved.

******* END OF ANNOUNCEMENT *******
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just as long as the contest theme is respected.

I'm all about the different types of mutants and monsters they had in the game. Just as long as you can look at them and read 'professional athlete'.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    BTW, I will be making Greentooths as prizes. One for the character winner and one for the enviro winner.

The will be the same Greentooth trophies as before, but these will be green. I'm thinking that the challenges will be green and the contests will have the metal versions.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just as long as the contest theme is respected.

I'm all about the different types of mutants and monsters they had in the game. Just as long as you can look at them and read 'professional athlete'.

EXACTLY!!!! This is a must. It must look like an athlete of the sport you have chosen. Thanks Jesse...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    r13 - DOPE. That's quite awesome. Ryan has been teasing me with his, keeps it sitting on my desk at work, haha.
  • MDSchee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDSchee polycounter lvl 8
    Messed up my naming/title. try to edit it, did not work. help please. Should I make a new post?
  • Grubber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grubber polycounter lvl 14
    MDSchee wrote: »
    Messed up my naming/title. try to edit it, did not work. help please. Should I make a new post?

You can click Edit, then Go Advanced, and there you will be able to change the title.
  • MDSchee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDSchee polycounter lvl 8
    @Grubber I did that, but it fix the actual post's title when you are in it only. When you are viewing in the thread it still showing the old one. Did I miss something?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE GUYS I don't want to police everything and it seems lame to say yes or no to sports so if you guys want to do quiddich go ahead...

Sorry for being a dick!

ANY SPORT (as in any sport that is officially played and recognized as a real sport) can be entered for the Mutant League Challenge. -Moody
  • R3N311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when is the deadline?