Home Unreal Engine

Introducing myself and searching for some help.

Ignoto
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Ignoto polycounter lvl 7
Hi, I´m new in the forum, I´m Maya artist since 2001, and now I´m moving into Environment artist.

So, Hello to all, I hope to share soon my first proyect with UDK, if I can manage first some issues that happened yesterday while working at home.

I was working with Terrains, Importing G16 heightmaps into an scene that is only for terrain testing, I think that the problem was that I duplicate the terrain instead of crating another, and I import my height maps into the copy, I saw the heightmap works fine and the relief data is ok and close without saving the map ( becouse is only for testing and I didn´t touched the Packages )
When I restarted UDK, oh! surpise UDK crashes and can´t load my Proyect map, It shows APPCrash, and get closed.

The BIGEST problem is: I used to make backups of my UDK data (I used to copy only my scenes and packages), affortunately I did yesterday a backup before to start working. But seems that were not enough, I replace the scenes and packages and UDK still crashing with that scene.

Then I tried to open the autosaves that UDK does, but It fails also.

I don´t know what happend, but the proyect were near to be finished and the only solution that I believe is going to work is to remake the entire level.

Regards.

Ps.: I´m from Spain, so I´ll hope this text is understandable for all.

Replies

• SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Hi Ignoto!

Are you able to open any other maps in Unreal OK?
    As the problem might (hopefully) be with the install and not the files you have :)
  • Ignoto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ignoto polycounter lvl 7
    Hi, SirCalalot
    Yes, I can open some other maps I created for testing, but some of them (that shares terrains with my main scene) I cannot.

I tryed to Install a new version of UDK yesterday, I´ve installed October2011, And tryed to open a copy of my map, and it suddenly oppens but as many things changed, since the previous version I´ve got installed (March2011); So when I open my map with Oct.2011 it show a list of errors, I tried to fix some of them, but I can´t run Lightmass...

As if UDK were on strike..XD

I will try to remake my map, I must try; while I search for what could happen.
  • Ignoto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ignoto polycounter lvl 7
    Problem solved, Thread could be closed.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you post the solution here so that others with the same problem will know how to fix it?

Many a time I have wondered onto forums from Google to find people with the same problem as me but don't explain how they fixed it.

• Ignoto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ignoto polycounter lvl 7
    well I´m not really sure on what´s happend, UDK March crasing opening the file, .. so I first reinstalled that version and still geting errors; so I finally Installed October beta, and It re-Build my maps, vtx painted data, and almost everything, But I need to remove lights to get my map without errors, and with the new lights everything go fines now with Lmass.

I Don´t know the correct way to make a back-up of the entire proyect, .. Maybe I´m doing well, but maybe is something that I forget to save.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair enough :D
    At least your project isn't lost!