Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ingram MAC-10

Hello!

Ingram MAC-10. Polys/triangles: 845/1652. Diffuse, normal and specular map (1024x1024).
I hope to receive some advises, in order to improve my skills.
c7ef404d950a.gif

Wireframe:
dfe8d34dd882.jpg

Replies

• Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Everything looks super squarish. In the turntable, I could tell where your chamfers were.

Did you try changing your smoothing groups?

Also, I'd rework the Spec, everything seems to be on the same gray spec.

Oh and renders on a black BG are hard to see :)

Good start!
  • GraphX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything looks super squarish. In the turntable, I could tell where your chamfers were.

Model without texture maps looks smooth. I think it is mistake on diffuse map. When I started texturing, I found that this model looks blurred. To fix this, I lighten some of the faces of the model.
    everything seems to be on the same gray spec.

Specular map is my weakness. :( Maybe I make some mistakes of light-emitter's location and intensity.

spec map:
    f53098407cfc.jpg

Thank you very much for your comment! :)

I apologize for my bad grammar. :(
  • OddEyes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have done a quick paint over on your spec map. Since i dont have your neat little inram model, i just applied the texture on a plane. I used your specmap, as shown one post above as diffuse and the modified spec map, obviously as spec.

specMap.jpg

(if you don't see a picture: http://www.abload.de/img/specmapim09i.jpg)

As you see, there is still your spec map as a base layer. All the other things are just different brushes like splatter, waterdrops, smudge, splash and scratches. It is not necessarily the best way to draw a spec map, but it gives the material, a decent look, so it looks like metal. And you should always consider, where are scratches and where is the dirt. Since i don't have any UVs i just drew some random wear and tear. You can apply this map to see it on your mesh.

specMap1.jpg

(if you don't see a picture: http://www.abload.de/img/specmap14u3x0.jpg)

Now i want to see your own spec map and i hope i could give you a small insight in how i mostly draw my spec maps.
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    I can't see Oddeyes pictures here at school, but yeah your spec is too uniform. Add contrast, add details, like scratches in white (Add other details than what is in your diffuse)

http://m.cmcdn.net/14042776/780x780.jpeg

I'm not saying this is perfect, but this is the spec I made on my last project.

As for the chamfers, I think it's because you wanted to paint those edges white in your spec. But it's too uniform. Try with a brush with some scattering to it. And be subtle in your scratches.
  • GraphX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso and Oddeyes

Thank you for your invaluable help. You really helped me. :)

Boyso: Your grenade launcher looks really perfect!

Oddeyes: You are right, model looks much better with your spec map.

Now I try to create my own spec map сonsidering your advice.
  • GraphX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New spec map:

8fd252126cef.jpg

And real-time render:
    fe65abdb965c.jpg
  • OddEyes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your spec map looks now a bit better in terms of contrast.
    Your gun looks like, it was underwater for a very long time. You have to keep your detail very discreet. i guess you use some sort of Photoshop, cuz you should download some custom brushes, like i did some posts above. Your map looks now way to sloppy.
    Look at this picture. You see, that the back of the grip is plastic, the case exit is a little bit rusty and the safety switch is bare metal. And if you add the Ingram logo and the text on the side would definitely help.

DSC_0068.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    id say the spec map looks worse than it did before. by adding those sloppy brush strokes and overly thick scratches it sort of ruins the map. its fine to have some grunge overlays, but make it useful and dont just blanket the entire texture with grunge. although you're texturing a 2d image, you need to be thinking in 3d. grunge just doesnt magically appear on parts of a gun.

the previous version as per the first post looked much better than what you have now. were this a mobile asset. but if you want this to be nextgen (which im thinking because you say you have a normal map.. which if so can we see it? ) then you really need to focus more on material definition.

take a look at this tutorial. read through it. watch the video, then id say start fresh with this texture.

http://www.nextgenhardsurface.com/index.php?pageid=racer445