Home General Discussion

TopoRelax Released

obliviboy
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
obliviboy polycounter lvl 12
toporelax.jpg

TopoRelax is a 3DS Max modifier which relaxes meshes while preserving their volume unlike the normal relax modifier which shrinks the mesh.

Get it from here http://www.mariussilaghi.com/toporelax.htm

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewcdnIjeeuw"]TopoRelax 1.0 - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It's a cool functionality but TBH - you might want to reconsider the price point. That's $40 U.S for a single function which by all means, could be done with workarounds.
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to pay for this and then when I want to use it at a company pay again? this is why i can;t have nice things
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ Agreed.... quite expensive. Although, I know Plugins/Modifiers are alot more work than normal scripts. Maybe if you combine like 2-3 modifiers into 1 package for around that price or something, you'd get alot more sales.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Agree with the others here, would be worth it if it was a pack with a few new modifiers.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Steep price, son!
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I think graphite tools have something like this already.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Either way, market values should dictate within the realms of 'common sense', the value, not for the author to randomly put a price tag just because they saw another guy do it.

I'll just leave it at that. I mean hell, Lumonix lets you use their tools for free, and if you go Pro, you can buy them, alongside certain monthly discounts and bulk discount.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Being a "Tech Artist" myself in a sense, I give all my tools out free of charge. I do this for all the points dustin said more or less. To get my name out there, and get more people using my stuff. Also, to charge a price of even 20$, your script has to be pretty damn amazing to be worth it.

I could probably charge for some of my scripts, because they are very helpful I think, and will save alot of time/ relieve stress, but even still, I don't think enough people would use them then.

Yes, I have put alot of time into my scripts.. ALOT of time, but I feel it was worth it even for my own uses. There have been so many times that I've wanted to do something in Max and was like shit, I wish this tool existed. So I go ahead and make it or try and make it and figure others probably feel the same, and I release it to them.

My main other reason for giving out free tools, is that I have gotten bits of code here and there that I've given credit to, but used in my own scripts. So therefor, I cannot sell them as my own and get money from their work. I COULD, but that would be a really shitty thing to do and possibly get me in trouble. They gave out code for free, so I do the same favor.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Ok, i have a little rant too.

You have good ideas.
    I'm not against to pay 15euros for a tool that will save me time in the long run, though i rather like donation system
    eg, the outliner from Pjanssen.

But
    we can't test your scripts before buying.
    All the scripts i tested from you are buggy. Thus, 25 euros for something i'm not sure to use is BAD.
    (i didn't test this one)
    + they are encrypted.
    Beeing commercial scripts, you have to guarantee support.

What about releasing less scripts and fixing those so they can actually beeing used properly ?
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Fuse wrote: »
    I think graphite tools have something like this already.

Just wanted to say that in 2012 they gave brushes which conform to surface for retopo. They gave also a brush which does something like that... except it totaly doesn't work...
  • probiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    probiner polycounter lvl 12
    I don't use 3DSMax but this tool looks amazing.

I guess it's much about perserving the volume as it is to have evenly spaced vertices. And I simply don't know any other thing that does exactly that (do you?)

Today I was having a problem relaxing something like in '1', but could only get '2', when what I wanted is '3'
    AreaRelax.gif

Does this plugin does '3'? Meaning making polygons' Area the most even possible?

Cheers
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Does this offer any advantages over oaRelaxVerts? Because that's free...
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    MattQ86 wrote: »
    Does this offer any advantages over oaRelaxVerts? Because that's free...

Isn't that for maya only?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Seems like a a steep price for something with such limited use.

Is there any major differences between relaxing+normal push. And this??