Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mazda RX8

Akai
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Akai polycounter lvl 10
Hi!, this is my first time showing some work in a forum. I'm glad to share my mistakes and pay attention of your advices.

The mesh that im going to do is from an school assignment, it consists in making a functional and non destructed vehicle and once finished making the destroyed version. The assignment includes mesh and textures, difuse, normal and specular.

The mesh is unfinished so there are a lot of mistakes like unfinished loops and also the mesh is not correctly organized yet. I still don't know if is a good way of work making all the mesh and then organize it accurately or try to put every loop in the perfect position

Thank you for your attention and advices.

Some references of the vehicle

2008_mazda_rx8_facelift.jpg

mazda-rx8-1.jpg

The blue prints:

mazdarx8v.jpg

Screenshots during the process:

wip1ia.jpg

wip2f.jpg

wip3l.jpg

wip4a.jpg

wip5.jpg

wip6s.jpg

Replies

• CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    are you making this a high or low poly model?
  • Akai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Akai polycounter lvl 10
    The mesh is supossed to be exported into UDK, so it has to be for low poly, but i really don't know how many polys has a car for a racing game, im very far away from the 200k polys of forza. I want to finish it with 25k polys, and then reduce it.
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    Some tips for modeling cars (can be applied elsewhere)

1: Anything that is one surface, is modeled as one surface. As you can see from the reference pics, both doors form (when closed) one smooth shape, that continues to the boot. You do this so that reflections look 1000% better on the final model because you'll have better edge flow and more accurate supporting loops.

2: Anything that isn't one surface gets disconnected. Right now you've got the mesh grill bits as part of the body. Break them off, keep them together and use a different material (one for mesh, etc).

3: Panel gaps, etc, come last. Just run an edge loop where you want the gap in your base mesh, then once you've smoothed, THEN cut it. It keeps the reflections continuous (as per point 1).

4: Fill ALL the gaps. Make sure there's no holes in the bodywork. If it's a pain in certain parts, put a black plane behind it or something, people will write it off as just a hole and forget about it, rather than a bloody hole.

5: Don't skimp on the details. There's trim around the windshield and windows, the wing mirrors, the diffuser, both bumpers, etc. Brakes need to be there, with calipers and (even just random, if need be) detail behind the wheels. Same goes for the headlight/taillight detail - they don't have to be 100% accurate, but having them believable helps sell it as more real and less sterile.

6: Be a man, model the interior. Solid black windows are for chumps.

Poly count and texture res (personally I'd go between rFactor and Race 07, and these are GENERAL values)

RFactor 15k poly, 1k exterior, 1k interior, 512 random bits + windshield

Race 07/etc 25-30k poly, 2048x1024 exterior, 1k interior, 512 random bits + windshoeld

F1 2011/2011 (PC) 30k poly, 1k exterior, 1k interior, 1k bits (actually, several smaller textures adding up to 1k)

NFS HP3, NFS Shift1/2 (PC) 25-55k poly exterior, 10k poly interior, 2k exterior, (bits amounting to a) 1k interior, 1k in other bits

UDK is fairly happy with higher poly counts - heck it'd have to be with the bloody 6k rocks. 25k polys should be easy for it. If that's all that's in the scene, go for 50k poly, 1k/1k/1k ext/int/bits textures. The trick with cars is the paint shader you use. Spend time on it, 99% of the time it's what lets people down.
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yup even though the doors and guards are separate the poly flow should line up. if you got to smooth it you will get odd gaps and reflections that dont line up well enough.
    there seems to be quite a few areas that have more polys than needed. things can get messy fast with too many polys. strip it back and line things up with the basic lines of the body. then add edge loops and details where it needs it.

Good luck :)

Edit - your overall shape is looking pretty good but there is a few lumps and bumps that will come out or easy to fix by reducing the polys
    oh and your back wheel needs to go back a tad
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Good advice from Brendan.

Get the entire continuous body shell right first, then chamfer/cut in for panels/doors etc.

He's also right about modeling the interior :)

Oh, and for adding some more stats...
    Project Gotham Racing 3 & 4 used ~80k total for cars.
    ~70k for bikes iirc, +10k for rider.

Looks like you're getting most of the panel shapes correct so far. Just take your time and make sure all the edgeloops are nice and smooth.

I'd redo the back wheel arch completely. Use a circle and have the polys all evenly distributed. Having the exterior shell in 1 piece all tidy will save you a world of pain later on. Definitely worth spending the time on.
  • Akai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Akai polycounter lvl 10
    Thank you all, Brendan I will follow your advices
  • Akai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Akai polycounter lvl 10
    Hi all, some one knows were can i found some information about making a realistic metal for a car, passing through diffuse, normal, specular. And if is it possible some info also about scratches and damage in metals, and how works the materials, I really don't understand how works the specular and its behaviour, now im going to visit the polycount wiki for getting more info. Thank you all