Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] WIP - Stargate Universe Bridge

Elith2
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, currently working on this as a university project to recreate a scene from a movie/cinematic tv series. I have obviously chosen Stargate Universe.

The work is welcome to any and all critiques so please be as cruel or nice as you like about my work.

If you haven't seen it here are some pictures of the bridge. You can find more here if you are really curious.

http://collider.com/stargate-universe-behind-the-scenes-tour-brad-wright-bridge-set/51858/

And of course photos of my actual work are uploaded as well.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Just a little update on where I am so far, almost finished modelling, which should have been done a couple of weeks ago, but just one of those things.

Shot36.jpg

Shot37.jpg

Should be able to get the modelling done and dusted by tomorrow and finally onto texturing.

Cheers guys.
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthy9986 polycounter lvl 7
    whats the deal with the floor? Is that a BSP or a mesh? It seems like the lightmap resolution is too low on the floor giving it like zero shadows or highlights.
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Oh that hasn't been made yet technically that is just blockout geo left over that still needs to have the final mesh changed out for it. Should have maybe explained that before.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Hey man great project to work on, I was a fan of the show sad it didnt make it. I'm actually working on the sgu console been on and off for a while with it. Are you only doing low poly modeling for this scene because there are alot of structures that would benefit from some baked normal maps. Your off to a good start Ill keep an eye on this one. If you have a chance check out my thread havent updated it in a while though.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80912&highlight=sgu+console
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    @ajr2764

Hey man, cheers for the feedback, I know just when it started to pick up as well. To be fair I still haven't seen the last couple of episodes. I will get round to that at some point.

A fair amount of it (if not most) has been high polyed and baked.

Had a look at your thread, you spent a lot more time on the detailing than I have, I ended up simplifying things down, or pulling some of the details out of areas just to speed up the process a little.

But yeah, hopefully it'll come out okay the other side of texturing, and not a pile of blergh.

Thanks again :)
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Hello, quick little update from me and my texturing fun times.

Shot38.jpg

Comments and critiques welcome as always.

Cheers.
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Another update on texturing so far.

Shot46.jpg

Shot47.jpg

Not 100% happy with some of the textures, either down to my own idiocy in sizing of textures, or things not just turning out the way I had visualised.

Hurray for deadlines in 10 days, won't be able to fix any of the issues I have so far as I still have a small mountain to climb.
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    The doors stand out to me in that their too flat, I don't think just the texture will do for defining their shape without a parralax map. Same with the chair and a few of the wall pieces.
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Cheers for the feedback, cracked a parallax on the door, instant improvement. Thank you for the advice, I'll try it on some parts of the panelling when I get the texturing done as I think they are in less need of it than the door. Thanks again :)
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    i love how SGU seems to be a great source of inspiration to people while it has been shut down after two seasons ^^

i agree that there were some great environments in that show, in fact i think they did a terrific job with the destiny. in any case, there's miles and miles and miles of difference in level of quality between SG-1/atlantis and universe.

as for your environment elith2:

the glows are too intense, it really distracts the eye; try turning them down a lot, and playing around a bit :)

also, the lighting the pillars emit seems to just stop after about 20 cm, which is just weird, so i would suggest fixing that by making it more of a gradient :)

as for the rest, nice going on the texturing so far, good luck!
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks man, yeah lighting has been something I keep going back and tweaking over and over again. But thank you for that spot as I hadn't really thought much about the falloff

I'll play around with all the things you mentioned, see if I can hit something a bit more pleasing to the eye :)

Thanks for the feedback.

And yeah I know it's such a shame they had to cancel it, they had so many pretty sets and it seemed like it was actually going somewhere as it got into season 2. Oh well.
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    More updates,

Got in some smoke particles, done a couple of textures, boosted up the vibrancy of the textures I had already after some feedback I received.

Shot48.jpg

Shot49.jpg

Lights still need tweaking with the falloff, but i think it is a little bit of an improvement.

Cheers.
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Put a fork in me because I am DONE.

Hand in is tomorrow, so this is as much as I can have physically done for this.

Let me know what you think. Cheers.

http://youtu.be/Te3Y0bR11G4

Not sure how to embed a youtube video so the link will have to do. Thanks again.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Nicely done man.
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    Cheers Joshflighter. Let's hope the lecturers think the same this morning :P