Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Male body - second character attempt!

Hey guys, this is my second character attempt, and decided to post some WIP images and get some feedback while I create it.

Here are the images, the legs are still WIP so if your response is concerning the legs not being detailed enough I'm working on it =).

I'm trying to get a perfect male body in 3d max so when I bring it in zbrush there will be little work needed to be done in the silhouette.

I rendered out this one picture because 3DS max 2012 viewport is a little weird on shading.

image3ws.jpg

image2bv.jpg

image1bqo.jpg

Replies

• Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    The overall proportions are looking pretty nice, good work so far.

The face looks pretty good from the front but falls apart as it turns - and some proportions are off to begin with. I'd say the whole face could move.. down a little? In particular, the eyes. The brow ridge should be at about the same level as the top of your ear. I think your ear placement is pretty good, so bring the eyes down for sure. I'd say the brows should be more pronounced as well - stick out a bit further. it looks like they do stick out more in the wireframe than your first render though, not sure why.

And I have to say your topology is a mess. Some places are manageable, or going in the right direction, but other areas defy logic. I'm no expert on the subject so I can't give any critique too specific, but I'd say the clavicle is especially a problematic area, as well as the loops that go around his waist - but kind of dip down oddly at his crotch. I think it would look really odd if this character was animated bending at the waist - you'll want a few loops that are relatively straight going around that area (closer to what you've got going on in the abdomen) so it will deform better.

Anyway, great work for a second character, keep it up.
  • unstoppablex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions I've lowered his face as well as made his eyebrows more pronounced.

I know the wireframe is a mess, but you don't have to worry too much because this is not a low poly, (turbosmoothed) this is just prep for zbrush so it will never get animated. (I will create a lowpoly when the high poly is final) The messy mesh is pretty much a result of lack of polys to make the details I want, so as more loops get added it'll start to look normal again =)

Here's an update, let me know what you guys think! =)

image4ds.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Zbrush transpose to give this a more relaxed pose + sculpting muscle detail, this would look really good :)

It looks pretty good so far, but wont suffice for next gen.
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    desktoppirate polycounter lvl 11
    His legs are looking a couple of inches too short i think. His forehead is also too small giving him a big brow neanderthal time face. Good work for second attempt though, wonder when I'll reach this level :P
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Proportions seem rather fine. His pecs may be a little bit low so I would fix that. Also, make sure to check the silhouette, especially in profile. Pay attention to the curves of the forms!

2rfx1tj.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Kot, could I have those two line images you used there please?
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    any chance on shots of the back? and extreme close ups/turn around of just the head will get you solid feedback for the most part, even a chance of a paint over : )

as for you trying to get most of it done in max to save time in zbrush... your best bet is to focus on nice edge flow now and the details later, especially with the competition being so high, you cant afford to half ass it in zbrush (not saying you would)