Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

District 9 Exosuit

watch?v=kM6g3eZRrCYHi everyone. This is my first post on Polycount so let me introduce myself first. I'm a student in 3D animation at Nad Center in Montreal and our class is currently working on a fake game footage a hypothetical D9 game and I took on the challenge of making the exosuit which was quite a mess to organise in terms of pieces but I managed.

We don't have alot of time left and still many things to do but I was hoping to get your opinion on my model/Animation. If there's a few small details that I could correct I will gladly do them.

In the fake game footage it will only be seen from the front.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM6g3eZRrCY"]http://youtu.be/kM6g3eZRrCY?hd=1[/ame]

Exosuit_Shading_A03.jpg
1.jpg

Replies

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Hey there Maxxe! I've competed against a few people from the Nad Center at MIGS in various competitions in the past two years, representing Champlain College.

Anyway, I don't know what your polycount/poly limit is for this piece, but there are definitely areas that can be cleaned up. it's kinda hard to see, but it seems like a lot of areas your putting geometry into that could be taken care of with a normal map, like the cod piece area, and some of the cylindrical things in the back. Did you make a high poly for this?

The animation is looking good though.
  • Maxxe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice I competed too at MIGS for the past 2 years and won First place in the Zbrush competition this year and the Autodesk team challenge last year :D

To answer your question, yes I did a high poly and baked everything. Since this is for a fake game footage we need to use a game's approach for the model but we really not that constraint in terms of tris and textures.

Here's the highres I made. I didn't waste time trying to model every little detail on it since I was going to bake normals so I just painted them directly onto my maps.
    Exosuit_Modeling_A02.jpg
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Ah very cool. Flava flav clock time bandit for the win!

Anyway, the hi-poly model looks nice. I still think you could optimize the low poly a bit more just for the hell of it. Even if it is just for an assignment, you might as well go the extra mile with it. It would also be sick to see what this bad boy looks like in engine.

Keep up the good work, and stop winning all those competitions!
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great, the anim has weight to it and looks pretty slick. Good job!