Home General Discussion

Plea to Environment Modellers

Hello all.

I've come across a debilitating problem, and need some advice.

Basically, I work in CGI at the moment, working with architecture, rendering in VRay etc. Its great, except I prefer game art!

At the moment I'm desperate to start building up a decent environment art portfolio, but I just don't know where to start. When I return home from work, I usually don't have much/any free time, a few hours at best, and I'm usually pretty tired.

When I do open up 3ds max and look at the screen, I am blank. No idea what to create, or where to start. When I do start something, I usually look at it after a few hours and lose interest.

Its like I have 'modellers' block!

Please can anyone help.

Where do I start a piece off? What should I do to get back into making environment art before all that skill I developed begins to leave my brain :(

Guy

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    first: show us your portfolio/reel! - I always like looking at sweet art and I'm sure other people would like to see it.

For ideas try limiting yourself to something that would fit into your favorite game. Eg: make something that looks like Team Fortress or Gears of War.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    start small. find some cool little concepts for a modular wall panel or prop or something and start with that. also, dont fixate on coming up with ideas yourself, there are people who are constantly doing up wicked object/environment concepts and most will be more than happy to let you use them. its all about getting in the habit of finishing things, so something clearly defined you can spend a couple evenings on instead of a massive project where you will lose focus or get bored can be a good place to start.

eventually you will need to show your ability to create fully realized environments but the habit of getting stuff done to great final quality is really the thing you need to learn. hope this somewhat helps. cheers
  • Peris
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    make a level for a game you like
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I thought this was going to be a thread begging people to stop modelling scifi corridors/panels/walls/doors.
  • mastershokhan
  • Guy123
    Hey all

Cant really put any of my commercial art on there as it would breach the terms of the images. But here is my portfolio: http://www.guythomas3d.daportfolio.com

I've brought my camera into the office this morning, at lunchtime I will pop to the local park and take some pictures of some trees/bushes fore reference. I'm going to model a few of them I think, then I'll worry about putting them into an environment later. Does this sounds like a good starting point?

Thanks for the comments guys, feels a lot better to get it off my chest lol.
  • Frankie
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Something that might be good is downloading the latest version of one of the editors companies you would like to work at use, eg UDK for rocksteady in london or cryengine for crytek nottignham and then putting the assets in there.

No idea about what to model sorry but trees/bushes are usually the hardest thing to do well as they really benefit from some nice shaders. Maybe look on concept forums or the p&p threads here for inspiration?
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 14
    Do the fun stuff first to get yourself going. Take a concept art of an environment, or make one yourself. Start modeling the stuff that you find most fun first and then keep going. Once you're warmed up you can do the rest of the stuff.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    sketch a load of ideas...sketch them in 3d (rough block out) get in engine light roughly and setup a rough atmosphere....repeat until idea takes hold and doesnt let you put it down....
  • Guy123
    Cheers guys, some fantastic advice here! I will definitely be taking it on board, hopefully should get a few hours free on sunday night!
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I like Peris suggestion.. .its always easier to find a thread to make something when you are building on something that already exists. You can even remake an env that you were really attached or something.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 19
    Do what you know, you're already an environment artist, just in a different industry that uses different terminology. Here's a great example of Archvis taken into UDK:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70509
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Get lost in Flickr. Wait for something to catch your eye. Whether it's a single asset or a scene. Build from there.

Alternatively, check out random concept artist's portfolios. If something catches your eye, shoot the artist an email, get permission to work from their concept, and go to town.

That's always a good start if you're stuck thinking up something 'original'.