Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

prop - grandfather clock

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
matthewjvia polycounter lvl 13
I've been working on this prop for a few days now. The normals are pretty much done and I've finished texturing most of the metal parts. I've barely worked on the wood texture and I still need to make the hands and a proper specular map. Any critiques would be appreciated.

WIP TEXTURES:
clockProgress1.jpg
clockProgress2.jpg

LOW POLY WIRE:
clockWires.jpg
The polycount is at 3144 right now, but I'm still trying to get it down more. I don't know how much more I can do without losing a lot the silhouette.

HIGH POLY:
clock1.jpg
clock2.jpg
clockFace1.jpg
pendulum.jpg

Replies

• terrybuchan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good start. one thing i noticed straight away is the 'base' area has the grain of wood running the wrong way.

Not sure if it'll help, but you might be able to take something away from this, an old clock i started a few weeks ago:

screenshot27.jpg
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. That will actually help a lot when I start trying to age the wood. Most of the texturing I've done so far has been focused on the face and pendulum. I had just gotten the wood texture on there, so it's pretty much slapped on in these pics. I'm going to get that fixed and work on breaking up the wood and aging it some. I'm in the process of moving right now, so it's slowing my work down, but I hope to get back at it tonight.
  • Kozak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're going for the ancient, worn-down look, how about breaking up some of your vertical lines? The sides of the model look too straight to me. You also have a few harsh edges at the along the top face.

And if I may ask: in the high-poly model, how did you make the floral designs at the top of the clock and around the face? Is it geometry or a normal map? (Looks really good!)
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you are talking about the wood arch right about the face of the clock, that will be covered by the door, but I have it hidden right now since it's not textured. I'm not really going for ancient. I want it to look like it's been sitting in someone's study for about 50 years, similar to the clock that terrybuchan posted.

The floral designs were made in zbrush using zscketches and baked into the normal map.
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unless someone sees something that needs to be fixed, I'm calling this thing done. The glass turned out to be a nightmare, but over all I'm pretty happy with the final product. Let me know if there is anything that I can improve.

clock1-1.jpg

clock2-1.jpg

clock5.jpg

clock4.jpg

wire1.jpg

clockTextures.jpg
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Darken the metal in the diffuse map and brighten it up in the spec. :)
  • ZeroBigSis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroBigSis polycounter lvl 10
    Good stuff.
    I'd be inclined to take some of the colour out of the wood diffuse (seems very orange on my monitor) and put it in the spec instead. At the moment the wood looks like it has been heavily varnished, alternatively if this is the look you are going for it might be worth putting a reflection map in - quick ref I found that may be of use:
    1.JPG
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I changed the spec and diffuse maps and finally got the glass looking decent. Critiques are sill welcome.

clock1-2.jpg

clock2-2.jpg

clock3-1.jpg

clock4-1.jpg

clockTextures-1.jpg
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    this is awesome. congrats on a great piece.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    overall I think your wood texture is a bit blurry. There is just so much of it to let it look that way. Overall though your most recent updates are much better!