Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Grinding dem polygons to lvl up my lvl.1 portfolio

aaronindhouse
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
aaronindhouse polycounter lvl 9
Im midway through college, and i figured i should get serious with this portfolio business. Heres some wip images of a male base im working on.

I wanted to challenge myself and really get some nice anatomy showing up and looping nicely without sculpting it. I also want to have a good base that i can easily launch new things off of.

still very wip, only a few hours in.

body.png
shaded.gif
wires.gif

Replies

• michael_Curtiss
    I don't really get why you have the goal of getting nice anatomy without sculpting. You won't be able to use that base mesh if you do go to sculpt, because the topology is so funky.

Plus, if you do the traditional process of sculpting>low res>normal, you will get a better portfolio piece because it will have better topology for deformation, it will look nicer, and you will be demonstrating an understanding of the processes used in the industry.

I don't know. Maybe someone else has a differing opinion.
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    Your topology is insane (not in the good way. It's definitely ok to go from base mesh to sculpting to low, but not with what you have right now.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i disagree with the above posts (edit: the ones above lroy). in a round about way this is actually a pretty cool way of learning anatomy, and while sure as of right this second you couldn't use the mesh for sculpting, it's easy to see where you're going with it and it has a lot of potential.

i honestly don't have any crits at the moment purely because it's at such an early stage. once you've got a full torso with the edge loops where YOU think they need to be, post it, and we'll have another look.
  • aaronindhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronindhouse polycounter lvl 9
    Great link LRoy, thanks!

My intention with this stage, is to model out the muscles, not a body that can be taken into a sculpting package. The topology right now is meant to reflect the muscles and not the skin on top. I do intend to retopo it afterwards, but my main concern is the anatomy experience and problem solving during modeling. I also like the idea of having an easy to edit, low res, but articulate model that i can use to play around with in max and zbrush(proportional edits) to get new ideas or concepts. between this one and the retopo(something else i want to practice) ill also have some things to build off of/on top of in the future.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm very aware of the process one goes through for the standard pipeline. I'm just squeezing in some other challenges that will touch areas i want a bit more practice in.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    if that's your aim, then i would suggest starting from a skeleton and then modeling each muscle as a separate element, and then modeling skin over the top.