Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(Maya) Kitchen Scene

Hi everyone,

Warm&Cool Colour Render:
2h5s2o8.jpg

Warm Colour Render:
350qhyc.jpg

Do you have a preference between the two? Does one look more realistic (in terms of colour scheme) than the other?

Basically, I am looking for some feedback on my latest project. If you have any suggestions or recommendations regarding lighting (or anything!), I'll gladly listen and take them into consideration.

The above renders have been edited in Photoshop (mostly colour correction), and include ambient occlusion. I haven't explored any other passes in Maya yet, but again, if you have any suggestions or recommendations, please let me know!

Thanks!

Replies

• theslingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I prefer the first one, cool looking renders. I don't like the plastic bottles tho ;)

And I don't know if putting the front objects out of focus a bit would look good, like the yellow coffee cup.

anyway good job :)
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I'd like to see the camera pulled back a little more. The pieces that are touching the edge of the image give off a cluastrophobic feeling instead of a warm and inviting feeling.
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Do they actually sell clocks like that? It's brilliant! I want one.
  • nightshade
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    The warm one or tone back the amount of cool the warm/cool one has. Do a night one too.
  • bretonvictoria
    Thanks for the feedback!

theslingshot: Thanks. I'm not fully sold on the plastic bottles, either. The main reason I put them in there was to make the kitchen seem more "lived-in," and also because it was looking a little empty in that area. I'll consider removing the bottles altogether.

Gannon: Thanks. I never even thought of that; makes sense! Below is my latest render with the camera pulled back slightly. Would you like to see it pulled back more than this? If so, I can re-render and re-post.

Razgriz: Yes, they do! The link nightshade provided is exactly where I got the image I used for the clock in my scene. I fell in love with it the second I saw it. I want one, too! (...but I'm sure they're quite expensive, so I think incorporating one into my scene is the closest I'll get to owning one, haha).

jeffro: Thanks. I also prefer the warm one. (I have a pretty big warm-colour bias, though). Thanks for the suggestion; I'll work on rendering a night version, too.

Update:

bretonvictoria_kitchen_nov16_3pm.jpg

I changed the front button area of the oven since it was bugging me. What do you guys think?

Comments & critiques are welcomed. Thanks!
  • bretonvictoria
    I received a few comments on Facebook that my render was looking flat, so I'll try experimenting with the lighting.
  • bretonvictoria
    Hi again! Here is the latest update:

bretonvictoria_kitchen_nov18-1.jpg

Based on personal preferences and feedback received from a variety of sources, I have added a sun/sky system, changed the front of the oven, re-textured the oven, re-modeled the apples, removed the water bottles, desaturated the textures on the the mugs, added a little extra shine to the mugs (you probably can't really tell since Photobucket resized my image and deteriorated the quality, slightly, in the process), opened up the window area and added an outdoor scene.

Don't worry; I realize that the outdoor image looks fake/flat. It's just on a plane at the moment. Any suggestions for improving that?

Lighting has been an ongoing issue for me with this project. At the moment I just have a sun/sky system, and I think it's working decently, but I don't want this to just be "decent!" :) I want this to be a portfolio piece. I am aiming for something that looks as realistic as possible. I've tried a variety of combinations: sun/sky on its own, image-based lighting with point lights (which is what I had previously posted), point lights with a directional light, sun/sky with a directional light, sun/sky with an area light, area light with point lights... So far nothing has reached the realism I am hoping to achieve.

Comments and feedback are very much appreciated.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Hey there, This new lighting looks like its helping sell some of your materials a little better, such as the stove and the pot on top of it, unless you've tweaked these materials since the last shot. However it now looks like this is some kind of kitchen movie set that is outside or something. The lighting really looks like there's no ceiling or roof.

I'm sure you have been, but with something like this, looking at reference is really important. Try to think about what your light sources really are. If its just the window on the right then start with just a single area light and get that feeling right, then start slowly building and layering in fill lights. Maybe there's a dinning area outside the shot with large windows that's letting more daylight in. Either way, pick a "key" light to give your lighting some overall directionality. This will help give it some of that depth people are saying it needs.

It looks like your using Global illumination so just start out with the window light coming in and get the photons and all that jazz feeling as right as you can, then start bringing up the dark areas. Try to find a kitchen shot that you really like that lighting in and try to mimic it, or if you already have one, post it up so people can have a look at it and give you a fresh opinion.

Keep at it!

ps. maybe some more specular/reflections on some of the materials, mainly the back tiles.

Some quick reference searching, nothing super great though
    orig_Bryson_kitchen_10_09_009_edited.jpg

1220327760tools_026.jpg

img3142749c68824912eb.JPG