Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modeling reel - Adam Sacco

Replies

• Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Really nice reel! The spiderman scuplt is badass. The renders all look solid, the weakest ones are the gun models imo, they lack unique texture detail and seem kinda generic 'scratched metal'. I love the soldier, but to my lay eyes the anatomy seems a little off: his waist looks abit small and the cloth seem a bit unrealistic, and the vest/chest rig looks a bit small/too tight. The pose looks a lil stiff too.

Just my opinion, I think the work is really good - nice one!
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    I like the work, but the reel itself needs work. I feel the music is a bit too much and makes it seem pretentious, also it goes a bit too slow, find something with a bit more rhythm to make it more enjoyable to watch.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    You're trying to hard to make the work feel epic. As said before, the music isn't fitting for the type of models and visuals you show. Your lighting is also far too dramatic, the sculpts have a lot of detail hidden in darkness.

Your breakdowns aren't super helpful. The wireframe on the soldier is not really useful because large parts of the mesh turn flat white because of the density, and because the mesh for the pants etc isn't very interesting. (also, it's not too great, lots of poles) And the clay Spiderman doesn't really show more of the sculpting work than the endresult does.

Personally, I'd lose the guns. The textures aren't nice, the wireframe is rather sloppy. There's a crapton of unnecessary edges, and the endresult doesn't look good in general. (honestly, it looks worse than many real-time, in-game weapons)
    And I'd lose the 2D art, it's not connected to the rest of the reel at all.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    commenting on the reel not the work:

title shot - id ditch the software logos and put up your contact info
    index - not really needed and wasting the short amount of time that people remain interested in any reel
    the info you have in every corner of the screen - too cluttered and taking away from the actual art (time spent reading and not enjoying is bad)
    i would keep your name/site/email, but not a fan of the project name/program, most can guess and i would just leave that sort of info on your website... and the bottom left "modeling & textureing reel" info is unnecessary
    transitions - need to use fades man, your cut are too harsh
    guns - you hold a still, pause, then rotate.. i would just dive straight into the rotate
    textures - you only show flats for one model
    the illustration at the end are random and out of place, again save that for your site if you must have them
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    When I was watching the reel and looking through your gallery, I was actually wondering whether you were going for game art or animation. If game art, it seems like your models are really unnecessarily high poly. You could probably get the same results with far fewer tris with a bit of optimization. Games are getting higher and higher poly, but you should really be economical and make good use of all tris and justify them being there. In the guns (especially) and the pants of the soldier, it seems like there is a lot of edges and points not being put to good use.

I agree with Snader about the music. I watched your reel with no volume and then read then watched again with audio and lol'ed. I remember some people I went to school with also used overly epic music. It's kinda silly.

I'd also say to remove the 2d stuff from your website and portfolio.

Otherwise, I like the extra effort put into presentation, that will really help stand out against most student work.
  • Danielmn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danielmn polycounter lvl 13
    i agree with the music somthing softer and less noticeable should do,

take the 2d image off the end of it, looks tacked on and in my opion your weakest piece, I am not saying it needs to come just not at the end. And if you keep it, put some motion pan on and take off the hard cut.

I dont love the wireframe renders, just not a fan on the style your are showing them off.
    plenty of examples out there. I am a fan of the wire you have layed over a grey scale in post.

demon bat man is cool but 3/4 of his face is in shadow. and you start the cam away from the from of the e face.
  • soulty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits. Just what I was looking for. I know I still have a lot to learn.

I made some edits. I will make a low poly of the soldier and update sometime soon aswell. I need some practice at game res models.

The soldier was aimed at high res animation.

The other models are high poly sculpts appart from the alien which I did to practice baking normal and AO maps.

Updated reel:
    http://vimeo.com/32419602