Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gas pump - please critique

This is my first completed model... I always seem to give up just after modeling something. I think it looks pretty good, but please by all means hack it up in pieces if you see things wrong with it. Also, its rendered in Marmoset.

Thanks,
sy5pmo.jpg
hx2h44.jpg
ioi1c0.jpg

Replies

• Roelant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks as a good start for your texture but your white is way to clean. Try to use some tones darker. Also I miss dirt splats that are mostly on the bottom of these things. Hope this things help you.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Not bad for first model! But agreed with Roelant that texture needs more work, like just more time spent on placing the rust and dirtying things up, also in your model lots of places you could have saved tris. You can also hardly see that wire thing on top, maybe coulda made it a little fatter and brighter spec or something to pop it out.

But no matter, next prop make it better, and be sure to post progress while you are making it, not at the end xD Easier to take the crits that way :)
  • Hexidine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For a first finished model, I think it's pretty good ( better than that mine was :P)
    there are some thing that are some things you could look at, or use in the future.

1) the model is way to high poly for it to be prop like that, you could for example use less segments on the ring on top and for the pipe with the handle, use aplpha channel for the thinig inside the ring, and use less beveld edges. if you want smooth edges you could bake your high poly onto your low, so you would get the hihg poly shading and it would not look as blocky.

2) the Texture seems a bit ''flat'' as said above the white is to clean, and i feel like the rust isnt really rust you could darken it more and make more variation in the rust, so it would have a more kind of transition between the white and rust.
  • jetskee96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Roelant The one thing I forgot to add was a grunge layer, I take it this would help with model looking too clean.

@Jessica Dinh Where elese could I have saved on the tris? I am guessing its the smaller pieces, because the body is pretty much skimmed as much as I could.

@Hexidine You mention a high poly bake, I may have to rethink things because infact I did do a high poly bake. I think the only way to get better is to do a WIP from the beginning on polycount.

With that said, This piece is going into my portfolio as the first piece(its also the first to go once my port is finished).... I need to get something in there so I don't feel like am going nowhere.

What do you guys think I should do?

my options are
    1. Fix the texture by adding grunge, tweak the normals, fix the spec..etc
    2. Start from scratch and get that tri count down.
    Or 3. Start a new project.
  • Assassin0323
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Assassin0323 polycounter lvl 7
    Good start. I would start another model from scratch, if you are going for a game res model that should definitely be reduced. A model like this should not be more then 1500 to 1700 tris. As for the texture you need to add more scratches and you really need to make your textures blend. Right now it looks like you took a standard rust photo from CGTextures and slapped it over then alpha masked out. Rust is never that crisp it will flow from paint to rust not just a line. Also your using three 1024 textures for one prop, something like this could be condensed down to one 512 texture maybe a 1024 if it is a close up piece for your demo reel. That hose has way to many edge loops, you could bring that down to 4 or 8 loops around smooth the edges and fix it with your normal map. This is a good high poly model you could spend the time to reduce it down to a low res, re-UV it, and then redo the texture.

Good start keep at it.

Alex
  • Hexidine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that what Alex says would be a good idea, to use this model as a high poly and reduce it's tri count.
    you can then fix the texture and reuse some things and tweak the stuff that was mentioned before.

I would say don't stop you're off on a good start, keep on going. :)

Mike
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    5003 triangle is a bit too much for this kind of object. I would go around 1000-2000. Add more subtle rust on it, plus, add more specularity on the material, so it will shine more metal. For the bottom part, make it leaky, because it's old and the liquid makes it rusty. Should take a look at racer445's tutorial, you'll better understand.
    http://www.nextgenhardsurface.com/index.php?pageid=racer445

Old_Gas_Pump.jpg
  • jetskee96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess the only thing to do is get started on another project. Thanks everyone for the help.