Home General Discussion

Concept Artwork for 3D modeling?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Hydro polycounter lvl 9
Hi. I hope this is the correct forum for this. If not my apologies.

I've search the web and have found dozens of sites that sell and distribute free 3D models, but I can't seem to find any that that sell or distribute just the concept artwork specifically for 3D modeling.

Something like this.
femalepirate.jpg

Any ideas? Thank you very much. :)

If any concept artists would like to post concept art simply for educational modelling that would be AWESOME. Feel free to post your concept art here.

Replies

• Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Here's an old thread discussing this.
  • Hydro
    Offline / Send Message
    Hydro polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks! Perfect for environments. Anything for character concepts (e.g. heroes, monsters, etc.)?
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Best thing to do there is start with one of your favorite artists, then you can spend hours browsing their inspirations and friends that they list on their blog xD

Try starting here, some of my favorites for character:

Matt Dixon
    Andy Park
    Patrick Ballesteros
  • Hydro
    Offline / Send Message
    Hydro polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome. Thank so much Jessica. You rock! :)

Sadly the reason why I couldn't find anything on Google is because I wasn't using to the correct words. Using "orthographic concept" and "3d modeling sheet" returned tons of awesome ortho concepts via Google Images. I know I know. I'm only using it to practice modeling and texturing.

Here's a whole slew of them for the game Ryzom sans textures (which is awesome because the texturing is left up to me to figure out)
    http://www.zegorg.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=7
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    There's nothing wrong with modeling others' concepts for your port :) Just make sure to credit the artist, and it is always good to ask for permission first too (like who knows if he is secretly also a 3D artist and wanted to take the first crack at it).

Also maybe stay away from concepts that have already been made into in-game models, or at least change it up considerably and just say you took inspiration from the concept.

I think modeling from others' concepts shows you know how to translate well. It is especially good on you if the concept is pretty loose, but you modeled it up nice and tidy using your own creativity, which means you won't need a concept artist to pinpoint every little detail for you which can be very annoying for them.

On the other hand, modeling something from your own concept shows originality which is always a plus (just make sure your concept at least looks decent xD). Good to have both in your port I think! :)