Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I need some critiques, if you please.

Ok, a quick back story:

I graduated with an associates degree in 3D back in 2009. I focused on Rigging.

<shameless plug>http://www.wix.com/spikestarkey/michaelstarkey3d</shameless plug>

Ok, now on to what I would like you guys/gals to rip to shreds.

I have been longing for something to rig for a while now, but my friends who were modelers either no longer exist, switched from Maya to Max, or have stopped working in 3D all together.
So I decided to model some low poly characters for myself to rig.

Please remember I am no modeler, and I am kind of rusty with the rigging.

384842_10150541439579535_618969534_11705556_1409770166_n.jpg
304044_10150541439369535_618969534_11705555_589013780_n.jpg
297807_10150541439079535_618969534_11705553_62663119_n.jpg

I'm fairly happy with the male model, and was hoping for critiques with the female model, But any critique is a good critique.

Here's the rig so far, It's almost done.
301666_10150521713579535_618969534_11612033_453311089_n.jpg

Replies

• Daelus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the female, the shoulders are very broad, and she has no more hip definition than the male. Also, she's the same height as the male, but has a higher waist. Seems a little off to me. As to the male model, his back seems a little too arched to me. On both of them, the front of the model doesn't seem to be reflecting the arch, so only the spine is arched, not the ribs or hips.

However, if you're planning on just focusing on rigging, wouldn't it be easier to take a finished model and rig that? There are quite a few free bases around the web that might be applicable. Food for thought I guess.
  • Cloud_Leonheart
    Yeah, I was getting the same critiques from facebook (as few as there were).

I can never find a model I like when I go looking for freebies. Plus, I'd love to know a bit of everything, you know?
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Hmm you've got some cool rigging going on your site man! Great work!

As for the models, have you tried turbosquid for models?

Or creativecrash or www.animationbuffet.blogspot.com ?

I mean creative crash and the animation buffet has more rigs than models (AB has only rigs), but you could download the whole free rig and delete it, leaving only the model, and rig it yourself. Its creative commons so i guess as long as you credit them for the model you are good to go.

edit: as for your rig screenshot in your thread here, as far as I know, the spine should be straight and not insterted already curved because when you rotate the chest on x, it creates a circular movement due to the joint alignment (orientation). Which is anatomically incorrect.

That is, the curved spine is insterted in an anatomically correct way, but the movement created by that is anatomically incorrect. You'd have to counter-animate that movement and that makes animating it take longer. :D

Hope that helped
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    There's also an SDK thread here which has some really cool stuff you could practice on:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70908
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    You could ask a friend with 3D max to get the UDK characters into Maya:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UDKCustomCharacters.html
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    looks like both characters have a lack of neck to me. btw, those rigs on your site look pretty cool.
  • Cloud_Leonheart
    Thanks for both the Crits and the Complements lol.
    I've been working on the female, and uploaded a vid to my FB, but no pics as of yet.
    Didn't know that about the spine.... Will adjust if the rig doesn't break in the process, thanks MiAlx.

Tried TS, It was what my professors told us to use, but didn't like what I saw. I do check it time and again. Will have to check animationbuffet and creativecrash out.

I've had Max models exported as OBJ, and brought into maya, It had no Uv's, even though my friend Uv'd it for me, so I tried to Uv it myself, and when I did, the textures were aligned to the original Uv's the OBJ had.... Idk, it was weird. Needless to say, I'm not a big fan of Max-maya conversion. Not anymore anyway.

I'm new to this particular forum, so thanks for the Link zakhar2, That thread seems like It will be very handy in the future....

and they could use some neck.... hmmm
  • Cloud_Leonheart
  • Cloud_Leonheart
    I don't suppose anyone knows how to fix an Orient Constrain IK/FK switch after Skinning is there?