Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Creature Planet 3D # 13 entry...

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
GeoCat polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys!!!

My first time posting here, look forward to getting to know you guys, and this forum!

Ok, so this is my Golem entry for CGHUBs, creature planet 3d, #13...

Not a finished piece, still a work in progress. After the contest, I'm going to see this through to a game asset, and perhaps animate it as well...

anyway... here is the bio. Bear in mind im not much of writer... but was fun to do anyway. More importantly, it helps to better under stand the context of my golem...

cheers... all C&C welcome...

The Golem Project, by GeoCat... all rights reserved :D

"The Golem Project" is a bio mechanical-military weapons project inspired by, and created to address the finacial challanges of a weakened global economy (so they say), brought on by nearly two decades of economically devastating private intrest wars, and occupancies abroad.

People grew resentful and distrustful of both their government, and the private interests groups that usurped and drained it: thus they demanded that military spending be cut. After nearly a decade of global protests, and riots, world leaders finally gave in, and governments fell in line by cutting their military budgets by more than half, almost 2/3. High profile weapons developers had no choice but to cut their projects and prototyping of new technologies. Governments could barely justify keeping up with current technologies, and man power, let alone dump billions into new ones. Competitors cut back their development of bleeding edge war technologies too, in favor of consumer technologies to stay afloat, while others went bankrupt, to close their doors for good. Other side effects of these circumstances lead to the down sizing of more than half of military man power... world governments simply had no choice but become more efficient in their affairs... thus leaving the doors wide open to new possibilities, threats, and an uncertain furture (so they say).

A rather finacially fit, but small, unknown organization known as the Tenbu Group, up to the task, and not without an agenda, came to the “world” table with a military vision of their own: They knew if they could develop un-manned, highly advanced weapons, that are cost effective, they could reignite the dampened war machines fire, to burn high, bright, and mighty again... and so “The Golem Project” was born.

The new breed of golems could be manufactured in an almost primitive fasion, from both existing but abundant raw materials such as iron, steel, and new sythetics composed of petrolium, animal fats and other byproducts of organic and inorganic waste... leaving the rest of production up to the ageless, esoteric practices - via alchemy. Alchemy is used to breath life into the Golems by attaching a conscious, or "will" to the crudely manufactured bio-mechanical bodies. None other than the Tenbu know exactly how to achieve this kind of technology, and the benefits far out way the cons for special interests, and governments to ask many questions.

The Golems are designed to function as highly mobile, enduring, obediant, and brutal killing machines to be used in urban combat situations, and or to tread difficult terrain such as jungles, forests, rocky moutain sides etc... i.e. they can easily tread where previous heavy, assault, vehicles couldnt dream of.

From an economic stand point the "Golems" are ideal in every way imaginable:
One heavily armed golem can replace the effectiveness of a small to medium sized platoon, at 1/10 the cost. The most appealing aspect of this cost, is that its all up front; once a Golem is deployed, thats it: there is no need to feed it, repair it, pay it a salary and benefits, nor replenish or repair its eqiupment... it just follows its objectives, unwavering and relentless like a ravanious beast until either it, or its targets are destroyed, and objectives are completed.

Their intelligence and insticts mirros that of a common house cat. Each golem stands at 18', fully equipped with a heavy blade for close quarters combat, and volcan cannons with electro-charged projectiles, for long to mid range assualts. Once ammo is depleated, they rely solely on their blades and animal insticts, and are more or less preditors, pouncing and ripping apart their prey, at will.

In addition: because of their agility, and highly adaptive animal insticts, their is no need for generals, leadership and stratigic planning: they can menuver any terrain, and adapt to any hostile situation on a dime to brutally overwhelm, and overcome just about any kind of opposition.

Here is the first image I posted...

fullBody-1.png?t=1321177193

and here is the 1st update where I addressed some issues...

Basically touched up allot of little things that were bothering me, like the neck: so I extending it a little and reworked the surface a bit... widened the head (looked a little squished, both were getting lost I think), got rid of the thing on the hips and some other details that seemed to detract from the rest of the design... touched up his triceps too that were a little wonky. Also fluffed up the abbs to give them more volume... I think they were getting lost in the fleshy, membrane details... kinda made him look a little weak as well, while hes supposed to be a strong, and fierce killer.

In addition: I redesigned the upper back as it didn't seem to quite fit the overall design either, and didn't transition into the membrane as well as some of the other parts, I think. One of my goals for this challenge was to make sure the two contrasting elements transitioned well into one another, but are also clearly distinguishable from one another, to create a nice contrast.

touchPass004.png?t=1321278679

Replies

• Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    nice aggressive slhouette back of the forearm and the back in general could use a bit more attention- the front is pretty wicked!
  • GeoCat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeoCat polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks Dan!

Yea... the back is still not working for me either. I think its lacking the volume of some the other armor pieces. Forearms need some detail and refinement as well. I think I'm going to give them a treatment similar what I did with the legs/thighs, and hopefully they will be more interesting.

Overall, there still a good bit to do I think...

cheers :thumbup: