Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - USS Yorktown

Jon
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Jon polycounter lvl 8
Current work in progress where I am creating game assets for a WWII mixed turn based / real-time strategy game. The current focus of my attention is the creation of ship models and more specifically the USS Yorktown. To date the model has reached a point where it looks something like this (screenshots taken in-game, the ship being a completely static object for the moment surrounded by what is probably best described as not the most exciting sea effects) ...

Yorktown2.jpg

Yorktown4.jpg

Yorktown6.jpg

The model weighs in at 4,600 triangles and the objective has been to keep the polycount down to the minimum I can get away with. Having said that smaller objects including aircraft models frequently come close to the same count. Given that the bottleneck in the game engine is not the number of polys but more the A.I. handling I have room for an increase in the number of polygons (and am already tempted to increase the detail just below the flight deck). In addition ships will be rarer and more flagship items so an increased polycount would be acceptable and finally, I am concerned about abrupt differences in detail between larger objects such as the aircraft carriers and smaller units (planes especially as they will eventually be sitting on the flight deck of these carriers) ... this is the reason for including the last screenshot even if the Yorktown is unlikely to ever appear in the same place as Spitfires (no US aircraft yet!).

Anyway your feedback would be extremely welcome as I am really trying to identify were detail is really lacking and where I can leave things as they are. In addition I am fairly poor when it comes to texturing and again I would welcome feedback on where the current texture works and fails.