Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] SINdustrial assets

Hey guys, I'm working on an industrial set of assets and I'm looking for some crits. The artistic areas that I feel like I have the biggest challenge in are:
Color
Proportion
Overall composition

I'm new to the site, but the work I've looked at in the forums is pretty bamf-sauce. I look forward to learning from you guys so, without further ado, here's the pics.

LET ME HAVE IT! :poly122:

ConcreteBlocks1.jpgConcreteBlocks2.jpgCorrugatedSteelPanel1.jpgCorrugatedSteelPanel2.jpgMetalPillars1.jpgMetalPillars2.jpgPipes1.jpgPipes2.jpgTriangularMetalPlates.jpg

Replies

• Jenn0_Bing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jenn0_Bing polycounter lvl 7
    Welcome to the site, lets see if I have anything to say that can help you out.

Well, I'm not sure what the first prop is meant to be. I looked at the image name and you've labelled them concrete blocks, which is good as it certainly looks like concrete. I think you need to consider it's purpose though, stacked like that they look like modules to construct walls from, If that is their purpose you may want to think of some way they fit together for stability. What I will say about the texture though, is that especially in the first shot there is very noticeable texture repetition in the red stripes.

Vent looks fine to me, maybe the texture you picked for the vent itself is a bit too noisy though, up close it's OK, but at a distance you'll loose the detail of the slats.

The pillar's design looks good to me. I think the texture would benefit from some edge definition, either in the diffuse of in the specular. The uniform values are hiding you models shapes a bit too much.

There's not much to say about the tubes as they're such a simple prop. How many sides are they though? Looks like you could maybe cut them down a bit to me.

And finally, again not sure what this is or what it is for. I think like the pillar though it could help if you worked some edge definition into your texture.

Proportionally it's kind of hard to tell properly with all the props just clumped together like that. Against the character model the pillars look OK, but that's the only shot you've really got a point of reference in. Same problem for overall composition, I'd say start putting these assets together in a scene.
  • SINtuition
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot for the advice. Now that I look at them I can see all the definition that's muddied by the lack of definition. I'll definitely be working on that!

My newest asset is just a simple IBeam. You CAN'T have an industrial set of assets without one of these.

IBeam_1.jpg

IBeam_2.jpg

This is the first model that I textured mostly in Photoshop. I say mostly because there's a seam in the middle of the beam that I fixed up in Mudbox. Incidentally, do you guys texture in Photohop, Mudbox, or ZBrush?
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Your textures look a little noisy. You might want to try masked detail-textures, it looks like the noisy detail is part of the asset texture. All those apps work for specific texturing needs, but photoshop is best if you want to make inorganics.

I like what you have here: (You'll get more views if you don't host on dropbox since some people block it at work)
    Pipes1.jpg

Are you using an anisotropic lighting model?
  • SINtuition
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your textures look a little noisy. You might want to try masked detail-textures, it looks like the noisy detail is part of the asset texture.

Thanks alot fore the advice. Textures are quickly becoming the most difficult part of the process.

The light model on the pipes is phong. I'm multiplying the highlight onto a blurred noisy texture reflection so that the reflected highlights appear to be be lighting the surface.
  • SINtuition
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just another asset. I had fun with the shader on this one.

steeltank.jpg
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Much better! Post them flats.
  • SINtuition
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steeltankflats.jpg
    Lol, this is what 'flats' means right?

steeltankflats.jpg
  • SINtuition
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working on a good workflow for creating concrete objects since I'll probably need a bunch of them. Here is the first.

simpleconcretepillar.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Nice! But I think the spec is too bright and the highlight should be more diffuse.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    I think that the cracks doesent fit, concrete usally have much thinner cracks.
  • SINtuition
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, time for another asset. Before the pics I just want to say thank you to everybody who offered advice for my assets. This one will be the last for this asset pack. In December I'm planning to take the assets/workflows I developed this month and build an industrial game environment with them. Not a game level, but just an environment.

So, onto the pics. I've included a Zbrush sculpt pic because I feel that the sculpt came out better than the final asset did.

concretewallsegmentzscu.jpg

concretewallsegmentgame.jpg