Home› Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Avilion

I'm relatively new to this site, but I have a reason for being here. I'm a Game Art Design student and I think that by joining an actual site that will give me feedback may very well help me get my portfolio started. I'm still havin gtrouble with digital work, but I practice as much as I can. I use GIMP because I don't have the cash for PS or AI. Uhm, I'm not a new artist, just one that doesn't get the critiques I look for. I can't get better without getting opinions. I respect creative crticism, not outright rude people I suppose. If you're going to say something mean, try saying somthing nice first please. If there is nothing nice to say... Then try and say it gently.

My first peice I have also posted on my facebook and my DA account (I also have an FA and if you don't know what these are and want to then ask). Its a picture of a sleeping fairy. This was before I started classes on anatomy and proportion. I also had some trouble with lighting because I've never really experimented with lighting. Note: this piece was done two years ago when I first got my tablet. It took me three hours all together. I used GIMP and my vistablet. I was mainly focusing on the subject because I'm not all that drawn to backgrounds. I'm getting better at them, but usually I'll only draw a character that I've got a story for. This is one of the first pieces I did on my tablet.
sleeping___zzzz___by_severed_rage-d42d85q.jpg
This is MY artowork. You are not to use, change, or take this away from me. It has a copywrite on my DA page and if you don't CREDIT me or ASK me before you use it, I will take action. Thank you.

Replies

• CodeKIM3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "This was before I started classes on anatomy and proportion... Note: this piece was done two years ago when I first got my tablet."

I would just suggest posting some current work to have users critique. I'm expecting that you've improved over the course of 2yrs from classes. I look forward to seeing some of your more current sketches and how you have improved from this piece. :)
  • Avilion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was reallyt just to start this thread hehe, sorry.
  • Avilion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's something more recent. This was done with graphite pencil on 60lb strathmore sketch paper and took me about 3 hours to draw up. I didn't feel like it needed to be colored and the fact there is little shadow is my decision as well. I think it looks better, but that's my opinion. The picture is basically just a girl sitting on the edge of a cliff looking into the distance. The original idea was suppose to be her blowing bubbles, but my lack of skill with hands led me to place them else where. Still the bubbles made for an interesting look. Though they don't overlap the character, I still wouldn't take them out. The cliff itself is unfinished so that's why it looks really linear.
    edge_of_the_world_by_severed_rage-d478dsx.jpg
  • VianReps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So - you don't know how to draw hands - you decision is to hide them:)? Do a lot of anatomical studies and observational sketches etc - use these tools - http://www.posemaniacs.com/ , Virtual Pose and a live model would be great too.
  • Avilion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working on them a lot since taking anatomy and i've gotten better, but thank you for the website help. I'll check it out. :)